Britannic's Elevators

Hello all,
i need to know something about Britannic's Elevators. I know there where 5 elevators. Does the elevators from the Grand Staircase looked the same like Titanic and Olympic? I have a picture from the elevators from Olympic on D Deck.

I found the picture on http://www.Marconigraph.com/

Greetings

Lars

Lars, did you have permission from the owner of that photo to post it here? Keep in mind that the Marconigraph webmaster is one of our members and he may not take to kindly to this sort of thing if you didn't get the required permissions.

No i didn't have permission. I'm very sorry about it. How can i remove it?? I didn't know you have to ask permission for it. Forgive me my fault
sad.gif

Recently I had the opportunity to examine the surviving Waygood-Otis orders for all the elevators installed in the Britannic, before and after her conversion. The dossier contains about 200 documents and it's privately owned.

The Britannic was originally equipped with 5 passenger lifts and 6 service hoists. After the conversion, there were 3 hospital lifts and 1 passenger lift, while the 6 service hoists remained unchanged.

I have written a very detailed research article on the subject, which I expect to be published in the near future. I will let you know once it's available.

Regards,
Michail

Is anything known about the dimensions of the elevators? The footage of the elevators on Olympic (link on request) shows a rather small elevator -- it reminds me of the rickety machine that served a 1930s apartment building I once lived in. Small, especially when you consider the elevator and the bench that they had. But a hospital elevator, if it is to be of any use, must be able to accommodate a full-size stretcher.

Your observation is correct. The issue of size was addressed though. After the modifications two lifts were large enough to accommodate stretchers. There are fully detailed plans of every lift cage installed before and after the conversion, so the dimensions are known.

Back