Britannic's Screws

It seems interesting that although Olympic's wing propellers were apparently reconfigured to have a diameter of 22 feet 9 inches in 1913 (and a larger pitch), by the time Britannic's wing screws were fitted in September 1914 they were apparently designed with a diameter of 23 feet 9 inches, for a usual running speed of 77 r.p.m.

Although I have no idea of the pitch of these, the diameter of Britannic's propellers would seem to be even larger than Titanic's in 1912 or even Olympic's on her maiden voyage in 1911. Presumably the pitch would have been lower if the figure of 23 feet 9 inches is accurate, to compensate for the engines' increased efforts to turn larger diameter propellers.

It has always been my belief that Britannic would have proved to have been the fastest of the three sister ships had she survived to commercial service. Although I appreciate that her reciprocating engines were physically the same size, mechanical alterations raised the horsepower developed, while the turbine engine was the largest afloat, and more powerful than Olympic's, if not quite the most powerful afloat. I believe that as her horsepower increased quite considerably beyond that of her displacement compared to Olympic, even the slightly wider breadth might have been offset.

While Olympic's 'registered horsepower' of 50,000 i.h.p. was the same as Britannic's, Olympic's Chief Engineer estimated that the ship's engines could develop a maximum of 59,000 horsepower. (Whether s.h.p. or i.h.p.) Britannic's total would seem therefore to be closer to 65,000.

Olympic's engines worked 'exceptionally well' on her maiden voyage and in June 1911 additional steel plates were added along the sides of the bedplates. These remained until during the 1932-33 engine work more substantial plates were fitted, ensuring the engines' continued strong performance. I've often wondered if the bedplate design was altered on Titanic and Britannic, or if these plates were just incorporated into their designs from the start -- or rather July 1911 onwards.

Just a few thoughts, true or not.

Best regards,

Mark.

And a refresher
mad.gif

Hi Mike,

I believe that there are no primary sources still in existence as to Britannic's trials. Whilst we know she did not do the measured mile, her speeds generally appear to have been 20 to 21 knots on her voyages, no doubt saving considerable fuel.

As to her top speed, there are several references to brief bouts of twenty-four and twenty-five knots which come into the realm of reality, unlike estimations of thirty knots!

If you're interested, keep a look out for my upcoming article on Britannic's engines and general propulsion system. It will probably appear on Michail's Britannic website and also the BTS magazine. I let some experts proof read it so hopefully I won't have made a fool of myself.
wink.gif

Best regards,

Mark.

Thanks for the heads up on the article. I'll be on the lookout for it. Can't say as I'm surprised that Britannic never did the measured mile. By this time, going out on the open ocean off the British Isles was a bit of a health hazard.

Something about a war in progress and hostile submarines. If you were a U-Boat driver, would you pass up a chance to add 53,000 tons to your tally? Especially something that could be used as a troop transport!
lame.gif

The article did get through in late December. As you know the BTS have a new Bulletin editor, and he's doing a grand job so far.

Best regards,

Mark.

Back