News Brooch gifted on Titanic in real life love story goes up for auction

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
A brooch gifted to a woman by a steward onboard the Titanic shortly before the ship sank has gone up for auction.

Note: I have some reservations about this brooch. I don't know of any stewards wearing them on their uniforms and I have never seen in any accounts from passengers or crew, that state they witnessed Captain Smith 'with tears streaming down his cheeks'.

I've since been informed elsewhere that the provenance on this brooch (or badge), is good. White Star Line stewards appear to wear identical badges on their hats, as seen in this photo. Credit: Encyclopedia Titanica

White Star Line stewards.jpg

One person has told me "The fact that it has been engraved and owned by Maioni for the rest of her life suggests there might be some truth in it."

Here's a photo of Roberta Maioni post sinking, wearing the same badge on her chest. Credit: New York Post

278460111_3902467883311877_7328445246921990636_n.jpg

It has also been speculated 'that it had it's original backing removed to become a pin and had "Titanic" inscribed'.

As far as Captain Smith, there are 'several accounts in which survivors said Smith was either seen weeping or else appeared to be close to tears', according to a fellow historian/researcher/author who has a brief chapter on this, in one of his upcoming books.

The story of the brooch has been on Roberta Maioni's bio for quite a few years, it was sold previously by Aldridges in 1999.
I don't know who the mystery steward is but this story talks about her contacting the widow of Charles Crumplin, could it have been him that gave her the badge? But it sounds like she contacted the widow possibly on behalf of the Countess of Rothes rather than in a personal capacity.
Someone in the comments for Roberta's bio states she knows the identity of the steward but for some reason didn't post it!

The story of the brooch has been on Roberta Maioni's bio for quite a few years, it was sold previously by Aldridges in 1999.
I must confess that I had not read up on Roberta Maioni until now, nor was I aware of the brooch's (or badge) existence. A very interesting story.

I don't know who the mystery steward is but this story talks about her contacting the widow of Charles Crumplin, could it have been him that gave her the badge?
Yes I think it is highly likely he did. Crumplin was in charge of the Countess of Rothes, so it makes sense. Thanks for the link to the article.

Someone in the comments for Roberta's bio states she knows the identity of the steward but for some reason didn't post it!
Yes I noticed that and there is no way to contact her, as she is no longer a member.

Back