Bruce Ismay in the photo of the lifeboat

Hi! I'm from Russia, so I use an online translator. Anyway, a couple of years ago I put Bruce Ismay on one of the photos of the boats from the Titanic and now I decided to share it with the English-speaking community.
The investigation was based on memories of the arrival of the collapsible C by Edith Rosenbaum-Russell and Annie Martin from lifeboat No. 11. They claimed to have seen boat C arrive, and Russell's generally noted that she almost collided with their boat, that is, boat No. 11. I just took a well-known photograph of boat No. 11 and compare it with the one showing the unexpected arrival of the boat from Ismay. Everything matched incredibly accurately. Thus, it is possible to say with great confidence that the photo I attached shows the C boat. It is also not difficult to identify Ismay on this boat, as he was described as a man sitting on the edge of the boat and wrapped in a plaid. So, Ismay is found!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 154
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 114
I don't wish to burst anyone's bubble but that can't be Mr. Ismay.
For the record, I don’t speak Russian myself so I don’t know what’s written down but there are a few things that do not end up:

1705262617248.jpg

The lifeboat seen behind lifeboat number 11
1705262646883.jpg

Collapsible Engelhardt lifeboat D as photographed from the Carpathia, which was the same design as C
  • The lifeboat seen behind lifeboat number 11 is a standard 30-feet class A lifeboat, collapsible Engelhardt lifeboat C was a 28-feet class E collapsible lifeboat. It had foldable sides and didn’t had the White Star flag on it's sides either.
  • If Samuel Halpern his estimate is still correct he gives the time that Collapsible Engelhardt lifeboat C arrived at the Carpathia as 5:45. It was set adrift afterwards. Lifeboat number 11 is believed to have arrived at the Carpathia at 7:00, 1 ¼ hours apart. I wouldn't see Mr. Ismay, who was very shaken by the disaster, sitting in a lifeboat out in the cold for that time.
  • Collapsible Engelhardt lifeboat C, as mentioned in the previous point, wasn’t lifted on-board the Carpathia but set adrift.
  • The estimated 43 occupants of Collapsible Engelhardt lifeboat C weren't transferred to another lifeboat
As much as I wish this was true, I sadly have to disagree with it, even if Miss Rosenbaum (who later changed her last name to Russel, who was known to spice up details by those who knew her, to the extend she once claimed she had an affair with Mr. Ismay and had an adjoined stateroom to his) and Mrs. Martin stated they saw him.

I don't wish to burst anyone's bubble but that can't be Mr. Ismay.
For the record, I don’t speak Russian myself so I don’t know what’s written down but there are a few things that do not end up:

View attachment 113886
The lifeboat seen behind lifeboat number 11
View attachment 113887
Collapsible Engelhardt lifeboat D as photographed from the Carpathia, which was the same design as C
  • The lifeboat seen behind lifeboat number 11 is a standard 30-feet class A lifeboat, collapsible Engelhardt lifeboat C was a 28-feet class E collapsible lifeboat. It had foldable sides and didn’t had the White Star flag on it's sides either.
  • If Samuel Halpern his estimate is still correct he gives the time that Collapsible Engelhardt lifeboat C arrived at the Carpathia as 5:45. It was set adrift afterwards. Lifeboat number 11 is believed to have arrived at the Carpathia at 7:00, 1 ¼ hours apart. I wouldn't see Mr. Ismay, who was very shaken by the disaster, sitting in a lifeboat out in the cold for that time.
  • Collapsible Engelhardt lifeboat C, as mentioned in the previous point, wasn’t lifted on-board the Carpathia but set adrift.
  • The estimated 43 occupants of Collapsible Engelhardt lifeboat C weren't transferred to another lifeboat
As much as I wish this was true, I sadly have to disagree with it, even if Miss Rosenbaum (who later changed her last name to Russel, who was known to spice up details by those who knew her, to the extend she once claimed she had an affair with Mr. Ismay and had an adjoined stateroom to his) and Mrs. Martin stated they saw him.
I claim that boat C is not the dinghy that stands behind boat No. 11, but the one that swam up to this empty dinghy between two photos. That is, in the first photo we see boat No. 11 in the foreground, and an empty one in the background. In the second photo, we see an empty boat, near which there is another one. Both of these photos were taken in the same place and at about the same time, but the second one is a little later, as can be seen from the position of the boat being lifted, marked with a blue arrow. The black, red and green arrows indicate the elements indicating the same location of the two photos. The blue arrow marks the boat, which in the first photo is being prepared for lifting (the head of the sailor standing in it is visible), and in the second photo they are already lifting. That is, the second photo was taken a little later. And I claim that just in the interval between these two photos, sailing past boat No. 11 from the first photo, boat C with Ismay moored to an empty boat.

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 115
Back