Builders Specifications Mentioned by Eaton and Haas

In the book Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy Eaton and Haas mention a builders' specification book for Titanic. They describe it as a document of more than 300 pages, containing elaborate instructions for fitting out Titanic.

I have contacted Harland & Wolff and the sales rep tells me they do not have this book.

I really want one! Does anyone have any ideas about where I might find it, or how to contact Eaton and Haas so I can ask where they found it?

Thanks in advance!

Best Wishes,

Cathy

Hi Cathy!

I have no first-hand knowledge of this specific document and I may be displaying my ignorance. However, from what I have heard in the past the document is in a private collection. Messrs. Eaton and Haas were allowed to look at it briefly when they were writing their book, but I do not know whose collection it is in.

As an aside, the detailed quote they relate about the two 'millionaire's suites' as they have become known belongs to *Britannic.* Possibly the book they saw was, therefore, not exclusive to Titanic but a generic document. Cunard's initial specifications for Lusitania and Mauretania were extraordinary similar, from what I remember reading.

I doubt this has helped -- I'm sorry I could not be of much assistance.

Best regards,

Mark.

Cathy,

As far as I have been able to determine, a Titanic specifications book did not, and does not, exist. From what I've been able to piece together, Titanic was built largely from change notes to the original Olympic material. A Britannic specifications book does exist, which I find is the basis for a majority of the rumours circulating about a Titanic book.

Parks

Hi!

Parks probably explained it better than I did. Looking at deck plans of the first sister, there are many handwritten notes added pointing to details changed or modifications made to '401.' To some degree, it is understandable that people such as Robin Gardiner can exaggerate the similarities between the two vessels.

Best regards,

Mark.

I have the construction notebook or "the Andrews Notebook" which is based on the Olympic but with changes written in by the author(s)to include information on refits. I have never heard of a Titanic Specifications book. The closest I think you could come would be the builders notebook, which has information on how much tonnage the tanks could hold in water, how much tonnage each hold could carry, specifics on paneling and things of that nature.

Wow, thank you all for your quick replies! I will ask H&W if there is a Britannic specs book.

Erik, can you describe the Andrews Notebook for me? I have something from H&W that might be the same thing. It looks like a 4.5" x 7.5" notebook that has been opened flat and photocopied onto 56 single-sided pages. It contains all kinds of capacities and dimensions, with lots of changes written in by hand. The cover/front page says:

Drawing Office Copy

Alterations in blue as vessel left Belfast
22/3/13 with inner skin fitted

Altered in red up to date 23-1-12​

I presume this was originally for Olympic, with the 23-1-12 updates for Titanic, and the 22/3/13 updates for Brittanic.

Is this what you refer to as the Andrews Notebook?

It's very cool, btw, but not what I wanted.

Best Wishes,

Cathy

Cathy,

Yes, the notebook Erik mentioned is the animal in question. Everything in that book is "Olympic" (and Titanic by extension); many of the changes - particularly those carried out through January, 1912 - were built directly into the second ship. Some of the late 1912 refit changes were also built directly into the Titanic (though obviously not the inner skin and heightened bulkheads), and some of these aren't mentioned in this notebook (example: the extension of the bridge wings over the sides).

Also, Bill Sauder has told me that there are other similar "Olympic" notebooks which deal more specifically with the machinery plants, etc., and were presumably tailored to the needs of the shipyard department they were intended to used by.

Best,

Scott Andrews

In the notebook I have I also noticed that there where penciled in changes for Olympic's 1913 refit. I would be very interested in obtaining copies of any engineering notebooks that might exist on the Olympic class ship in general. Is there a website where you can purchase them through????

Hi!

It seems apparent that period records have not survived very well, though I don't think Goering can take all of the blame. With regard to the Britannic book, extracts may be found in Simon Mills' latest work -- it's in a private collection. I wrote to H&W on two occasions regarding their archives, three years ago, yet sadly to date I have received no replies. As far as I know, you can't purchase copies over the web.

Best regards,

Mark.

Back