Cabin C-104 (Peuchen)

Arun Vajpey

What part of C-deck was Major Godfrey Peuchen's cabin - C-104 - actually located? More specifically, can someone compute around approximately what time that cabin became inaccessible as the Titanic continued sinking?

C-104 was located aft of the main grand staircase on the port side. Basically, imagine you're walking down the grand staircase and you reach the C-Deck landing, and you are facing aft. Walk towards the corridor on your right, and then turn to the 1st door on your left. That's where C-104 was located on the Titanic.

Thank you. I take it that would mean it remained dry and accessible till late in the sinking.

There is a potential story in it. Major Peuchen left the Titanic on Lifeboat #6 with 3 oranges at about 01:10 am, when Lightoller ordered the lifeboat lowered. On a table in the now empty Cabin C-104 is a small tin box with $200,000 in negotiable bearer bonds which Peuchen left behind, taking the oranges instead. At 01:35 am, an unnamed steward, going to lock the room, finds the box and its contents. He decides to take them and half-an-hour later manages to find a place on Collapsible D................:D

I wonder if his cabin might still be accessible, given it's proximity forward of the sloping tear from the break up.

I wonder if his cabin might still be accessible, given it's proximity forward of the sloping tear from the break up.
Good point. Cabin C-104 was situated just aft of the main grand staircase and on checking BB's Deck plans here, I noted that it was quite a bit in the forward part of the ship, a lot closer to the bow than I had originally thought.

But, it was fairly high-up on C-deck and I imagine would have remained dry for at least some time after Peuchen vacated it for the final time. This must have been just before 01:00 am at the latest because be was already in the crowd around Lifeboat #6 to which he offered his services and was allowed to shimmy down the falls into it. The boat was lowered at around 01:10 am.

For Peuchen's cabin to be completely inaccessible, the grand staircase on C-deck must have started flooding and I think that happened only around 02:00 am.

Thank you. I take it that would mean it remained dry and accessible till late in the sinking.

There is a potential story in it. Major Peuchen left the Titanic on Lifeboat #6 with 3 oranges at about 01:10 am, when Lightoller ordered the lifeboat lowered. On a table in the now empty Cabin C-104 is a small tin box with $200,000 in negotiable bearer bonds which Peuchen left behind, taking the oranges instead. At 01:35 am, an unnamed steward, going to lock the room, finds the box and its contents. He decides to take them and half-an-hour later manages to find a place on Collapsible D................:D
This has the makings of a darn good story!

I recall the depiction of this scene in A Night To Remember—I think they had Major Peuchen sticking a pin, tie tack, or some such into his Norfolk jacket before he left his stateroom.

Back