Cabin door design and cabin number placement

One of the most exciting finds on the Cameron expedition was the nearly intact cabin door- which is identical in design to survivng examples from Olympic....

The door seemed to have vented panels, Im assuming as a means for heat, or air circulation to get through..But It makes me wonder if it resulted in outside noises easily entering the cabin.
Perhaps this is why so many people were able to hear the 'grinding noise' of the collision while still in thier beds.

Im curious as to how the cabin numbers were affixed on the doors- were they on small metal plaques above the door, or on the door itself?
Or were the numbers painted on the doors- or pephaps individual deck letters and numbers screwed into each door?
I have seen a few photos of Olympic cabin doors, but have yet to see one that is adorned with a cabin number...

Tarn Stephanos

Thanks Daniel!
Do you know if any such examples from Olympic have survived?
I suspect the enameled plaques for most of the cabins in the bow section of the Titanic are still there, albiet buried in the sediment..

Tarn Stephanos

Tarn,

I don't know if such examples have survived since Olympic's scrap from 1935-37. These can be seen on a few photos from the Olympic as well. Apparently the bathrooms were also numbered.

Daniel.

Back