Cairo predicted Steads Death

Hey I was flipping through the channels and saw something about psychics on the history channel and then they got to the psychic Cairo who was around about a 100 years ago. They were making lists of things that he fortold and one was when W.T. Stead saw him in 1911 he said he would meet peril on the sea very soon but Stead ignored the warning and sailed anyway and met his death in April, 1912 on Titanic. It said he also predicted the Russian Czar's murder and other things. Now I'm not in to pyshics and never have really believed in them though I did find this very interesting.. What are your alls thoughts on this?
Adam

P.S. Something funny....when they were talking about Titanic they actually passed off footage of Mauertainia! They did show, however the nighttime at Cherbourg picture.

Adam,

There were several passengers on board Titanic who later noted that a psychic or medium "foretold" of the perils they would later face at sea. But, one thing we have to remember is that if you planned to travel in the Gilded Age, you would likely take a steam ship to reach your destination, especially if you were on a European tour or something of the sort. So, how amazing is it that many so-called mediums seemed to predict the fates of more than one of the Titanic's passengers? Not the least bit amazing, really. In a nutshell, this was a common "warning" given to travelers.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Oh ok Brandon..I didn't know numerous other passengers were warned though I knew of people predicting the ship would sink but not telling a doomed passenger. Like I said i am not really in to the predicting the future stuff, this was interesting to me though because it was a titanic passenger.
Adam

Adam,

One other passenger who comes to mind who was foretold of danger at sea was Alice Fortune. She ignored the medium, and was told by someone who later boarded Titanic with her (his name slips my mind) that it was a common warning and was nothing to worry about. I seem to remember one or two other instances where I have read about mediums foretelling danger for Titanic passengers, but the exact details escape me.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Thanks for the information on Alice Fortune Brandon. Don't worry about the forgetting of exact details. I've forgot the names of passengers who said something or did something too.
Adam

You're welcome, Adam. The man I was referring to above was William Sloper. I read about this in "Titanic: The Canadian Story" by Alan Hustak.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

How about the man who predicted that he wouldn't drown? Lightoller is said to have said, "The sea isn't wet enough to drown me." He was right too.

Adam McGuirk wrote:

>Hey I was flipping through the channels and saw >something about psychics on the history channel >and then they got to the psychic Cairo who was >around about a 100 years ago. .... W.T. Stead saw >him in 1911 he said he would meet peril on the >sea very soon but Stead ignored the warning and >sailed anyway .... What are your alls thoughts on >this?

Hi, Adam!

Sorry it's taken me this long to respond to your message.

I realize you probably spelled the psychic's name phonetically like it was pronounced in the program, but -- for what it's worth -- the actual spelling of the psychic's professional name was 'Cheiro'. (He was also known as 'Count Louis Hamon,' but his real name was plain old William John Warner.) :)

Personally, I find the 'predictions' of Cheiro and his fellow professional 'psychics' much less compelling than some of the predictions and dreams that were experienced by everyday passengers and crewmen. One such incident involved Eugene Daly's repeated dreams that the Titanic would go down before she reached New York, and his final warning to his friends (given on the evening of April 14th) that the Titanic was going to sink that very night as the result of a collision with an iceberg.

Survivor Bertha Mulvihill thought Daly's warnings were "uncanny." So do I. :)

All my best,

George

No problem about the wait, George.

Thank you for showing me the correct spelling. Thank you for the other information. The one about Eugene Daly is really interesting, much more intruging than the one about Stead.

Adam McGuirk

Well, George, since it's nearly impossible to buy your book for less than $125, and it's out of print in spite of my letters to the publisher, how about a few more anecdotes about the premonitions and dreams that were had? Is there any truth to the story that Wallace Hartley's minister back home was giving last rites to a little girl who sat up and pointed at some person visible only to herself and she saw "Wally" and she gave the priest a message from him? (Read that one in Readers Digest.)

Kyrila

Hi, Kyrila!

Several interesting premonitory-type accounts are described on page 9 of my website; the URL is:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Carpathia/page9.htm

The Reader's Digest version of the Hartley episode appears to have introduced several inaccuracies into the story; an accurate description of the Hartley account appears on my website at the above-mentioned URL.

So dim the lights, throw another log on the fire and pull your chair up close to the monitor, for I have an eerie take to tell . . . :)

All my best,

George
P.S. Thanks for trying to pressure the publisher into reprinting my book, but I'm afraid it's a lost cause. (There are shadowy mysteries in the publishing business that are beyond the ken of mere mortals. . . ) :)

Thanks, George. I'll have to bookmark your site. As for publishers, there's always self-publishing. Many internet publishers will do it for you even on a per book basis, and they will hook you up to all the web sellers like Amazon. I know Xerox offers such a publishing service. Of course, you have to check your contract and make sure that option is legally yours. But it probably is an option they forgot to exclude.

Kyrila

Hi, Kyrila!

>But it probably is an option they forgot to exclude.

Take my word for it -- publishers never forget anything! :)

(When I once asked the publisher if I could reprint the book myself, I was told I'd have to purchase the rights first; cheapskate that I am, that ended the matter right there.) :)

All my best,

George

Back