Captain Rostron's career

I am trying to find the ships that Captain Rostron served on and the dates. I have a list of ships but no dates when he was commander.
Particularly interested in the time from 1910 through 1918

Tom, if you can find a copy of "Home From the Sea", Captain Rostron does mention his ships, though a definitive timeline is not there.

I do know that he was later the Commodore of the Mauretania, and I will wager the Aquitania at times. I'll wager he was never on the Lusitania.

I'm not aware of any such timeline either. Although, Captain Rostron's biography does list the ships that he served on, but only some of the dates are mentioned. The Aquitania was not one of them. Actually, he was supposed to be the first officer on the Lusitania in 1907, but just a day before her maiden voyage, he was assigned "to the Brescia, in the Mediterranean trade"; to be her Captain. So, you're half right, John.

See here: Captain Arthur Henry Rostron

The Berengaria was his last ship in 1931. If I recall correctly, he was offered to take command of the Queen Mary (which was known as "534" then), but declined and decided to retire.

Rostron actually served as first officer on Lusitania during her trials. He was then given a command of his own.

I don't have his book but I have read it. I found it most frustrating, as it's very short of dates and just as short of names. He mentions very few people by name, except for some passengers.

The book commands amazing prices but it's of little value as a record of history.

Rostron actually served as first officer on Lusitania during her trials.

Thanks for that tidbit of info, Dave! Good to know.

I don't own his book either, but I have read the chapter on Titanic and browsed through the rest, as I borrowed John's copy. While I did find it interesting, at the same time I agree it was difficult without specific dates.

Capt Rostron did command Lusitania for one voyage (no. 81) in service, from Oct 25, 1913 to Nov 11, 1913, crossings 161,162. 18 days, one voyage, two crossings. Source J Kent Layton, Lusitania, ship of splendour (which book I heartily recommend; esp for Lucy fans)

The Times (London), 1 June 1916

HONOURS FOR THE NAVY
---
TRANSPORT AT GALLIPOLI

"MENTIONED"
---
The following Officers are mentioned for good services whilst employed on Transport duties at the Dardanelles:---
Cdr. Arthur H. Rostron, R.D., R.N.R., Captain, H.M.T. Alaunia.

-30-

Back