Chapels on board White Star Line ships

Jason Loch

I have an early brochure for the MV Britannic that features a photo of a chapel among the images of her interiors. The brochure's description of it as a 'chapel' is perhaps a bit hyperbolic, as it appears to have been little more than an altar with a crucifix that was set up within a larger public room (based on the surrounding architectural elements, I'd say it was located in the Drawing Room).

As I understand it, chapels were a rarity on British ships. In the early 20th century, Morning Prayer would have been the typical Sunday service for most Anglicans, and there was no need for an altar since it didn't involve the celebration of the Eucharist. However, I believe that ships from predominately Roman Catholic countries often had chapels since altars were integral to the Roman Catholic Mass.

Did any White Star ships besides the Britannic (III) have chapels on board? Do we know why White Star decided to include such a facility on the Britannic?

Not that I can answer your question, but it seems like we know the least about Britannic's interior and it would be great to find out more about her unique features.

Not that I can answer your question, but it seems like we know the least about Britannic's interior and it would be great to find out more about her unique features.

This site has some nice images of the third Britannic's interiors: The BRITANNIC and the GEORGIC were the last liners built for the White Star Line and were merged with the Cunard Line in 1934..

I think White Star did a nice job with her interiors. Although she was very much an Art Deco ship, she also had some touches of traditional period decor.

Thanks for the link, but I can't even begin to tell you how embarrassed I am. I thought we were discussing the HMHS Britannic. No wonder I was confused about the design and the launch in 1929 which would have been 13 years after the sinking *facepalm for myself*

Not that I can answer your question either, but I remember some sources saying that there was a Sunday service in the first-class dining saloon of the Titanic on 14 April. Captain Smith led the service (not sure whether that's a maritime tradition or just a White Star one, or the Captain's personal decision) and second- and third-class were allowed to join in the service in separate sections of the dining saloon.

Here is the photograph I intended to follow my reference to Evensong aboard 'Titanic' that fateful Sunday. Full size proved too large. Don

RMS 'Olympic' Sunday Service Altar (1911)  .jpg

Back