Charles Melville and Clara Hays

I have more informations about 1st class passergers for you. Hays, Charles Melville, (1856-1912),president of the Grand Trunk Railway Company (Canadian Ry.) (1909-1912), was born at Rock Island, Illinois,USA, on May 16 1856. He was educated at public schools of Rock Island, and at the age of seventeen entered the service of the Atlantic and Pacific Railway, in St-Louis, Missouri,USA. He rose in the railway word until in 1889 he was appointed general manager of the reorganized Wabash system. In 1896 he came to Canada as general manager of the Grand Trunk Railway, and, with the exception of part of the year 1901, when he was president of Southern Pacific Ry., he continued to manage the Grand Trunk Ry. until 1909, when he was appointed president of the company. In 1905 he was elected president also of the Grand Trunk Pacific Ry., which was to a large extent his creation. REF: ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CANADA, VOL III W. STEWART WALLACE, M.A.,F.R.S.C. UNIVERSITY ASSOCIATES OF CANADA, TORONTO, 1948 Molson, Hugh Markland, member of brewer family at Montreal

Hugo Normandeau
Coteau du Lac, Québec, Canada

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everybody know that the booklet on Charles Hays that Gavin Murphy wrote is a wonderful resource. It's well worth the price.

It's invaluable to my vast Titanic collection and it has many wonderful pictures. I would definitely recommend this booklet to anybody that's interested.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Oops! I didn't mean to keep everyone in suspense. I actually forgot to include that information in my post.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

I had Gavin's book with me at the get together and Tracey McIntire got a chance to look at it too and is eager to get one.

For the price it is truly a great bargain and Gavin has a lot to say!

Maureen.

I just wanted to post a positive review of this book--it was excellent and very well researched. Be sure to contact Gavin for a copy--it is well worth it!

Tracey M.

I just got back from a visit to Montreal and Quebec City and while in Montreal, visited the Mount Royal Cemetery. I was kind of surprised that Hays didn't have a more elaborate tomb stone because there were so many more in the cemetary that had huge monuments. The office cemetary was closed so I had to hunt for his gravesite and with temperatures over 90, this wasn't an easy task. One of the most well known people buried in the cemetery is Anna Leonowens who was the inspiration for the movie and musical "The King And I". Also buried in this cemetery is Margaret Kempe Howell who was the mother in law of Jefferson Davis.

If anyone wants to see what Charles Hays's headstone looks like, visit http://www.findagrave.com

Other Titanic passengers in Mount Royal include Clara Hays, Thornton and Orian Davidson, and Joseph Fynney. I had submitted a photo of Orian Davidson's headstone, but it's not up any more, and I don't know why.

Lusitania passengers buried in Mount Royal include Lady Marguerite Allan and her daughters Gwen and Anna.

Eric Sauder

I didn't know any other Titanic passengers were buried in this cemetery. I should have done more research before going there. Thanks Eric for this interesting information.

Hi Darren,

There is also a memorial to Harry Markland Molson there. I've also walked through a cemetery in 90 degree weather looking for Titanic passengers, so I know how it feels!

I hope you enjoyed your trip.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Hi J and the Cujo-less Buds,

There is also a memorial plaque to Molson at Christ Church Cathedral in downtown Mtl., as there is for Vivian Payne, Hays' private sec., both of whom perished in the disaster.

G

Back