Children's fiction

What do you think of the stories of the Titanic for children? Some of them are good, but others bring in too many different urban legends about the "Titanic." Anyone else have an opinion about this?

A fun book is The Heroine of the Titanic. It's the story of Margaret Brown, told in the exaggerated way she might have used herself. The author makes it clear that it is not history.

Heroine Of The Titanic sounds like just the thing for introducing my daughter to Titanic. Alas she is a bit young but someday soon. We already got the Bear book for her.

They should of wrote a book from Jenny the Cat's POV if they were gonna do that. At least she was real but fortunately this clever Kitty took her Kittens and jumped ship so she missed the fatal voyage. Down a rope line with one Kitten at a time now that's a story in it's self. This ship is gonna sink so we're gettin' off is a good title or Down A Line Rope to Salvation: One Mother's Story

In the version I've read, the cat simply went down the gangway. The tale comes from Joe Mulholland, one of the 'runners' who took Titanic down to Southampton.

I've thought of writing the story of the cat for kids, but having the idea is one thing and getting it down on paper in an amusing way is another.

"Titanic Voyage from Drumshee" is another good little book. It is told from the POV of a young girl employed as a governess for two children. All three are orphans, which has some to do with the dynamics of the story.

It is more geared (I think) to young girls; it has only a couple places that stretch the imagination, and with an ending that has the girl and her two young charges trapped on the stern of the ship, is one that leaves you guessing until the end.

I reviewed this book for "The Titanic Commutator" last year -- I don't remember the issue, however.

Hey All - Have any of you read Magic Treehouse: Tonight on the Titanic? My daughter Katie, who is in 2nd grade, read this for her class. Its a nice book. This is a story about 2 kids who get transported to the Titanic (via their magic treehouse) a few hours before the sinking and they end up trying to help a couple of kids find a lifeboat. There are histoically true facts presented throughout this book too but written in a way for young readers to understand. This is a great book to introduce the "Titanic" to children.

http://www.amazon.com/Tonight-Titanic-Magic-House-paper/dp/0679890637

My daughters class is getting ready to do some kind of big project on the Titanic (after spring break this week) - it will be interesting to see what all is done. I'd be happy to share what my daughter and her class do if anyone is interested. - Beth

That's awesome, Beth. I might have to remember that when I finish my degree in Elementary Education. I have another question for anyone. What would be a good book to introduce Kindergarten age children to the Titanic? I have a friend who teaches kindergarten (trust me, she is a friend) and was wondering what would be a good book for her to introduce it to them? I was thinking Polar: The Titanic Bear might work. Anyone have any other suggestions?

"White Star, A Dog on the Titanic" would be a little too advanced for a Kindergarten class in my opinion. "Polar, the Titanic Bear" would be a good one, as would "Pig on the Titanic".

Back