Coal bunker in the 1st and 2nd Class Galley

brionboyles

Professional Model Builder
Recently I posed an answer about "smoke" coming from the fourth funnel, in which I submitted that the funnel served as ventilation for the galley and some engineering spaces.
I decided to research possible sources of exhaust steam and "smoke" that might make an appearance, and came upon a puzzle...
In looking over the plans for "D" Deck, I found a 30 ton coal bunker or storage room in the 1st and 2nd class galley, just forward of the scullery on the starboard side.
It appears to accessed from the galley by regular doors.
Any insight as to what this coal was used for?
I can imagine that some of the galley equipment might be coal-fired... a grill or oven of some kind, perhaps... but THIRTY TONS seems to be rather a lot.
I find it hard to believe that much coal was used for cooking or required for a single crossing, although certainly plausible... and they must have had to replenish it regularly. It even appears to have it's own scuttle...on "D" deck level, as opposed to the boiler coal bunker scuttles on "F" deck.
Something I've never noticed before...
So, my questions are many:
1) What galley equipment would this coal have been used for?
2) Any thoughts on what might have been the rate of consumption?
3) Wouldn't consuming 30 tons of coal result in a fair amount of smoke (not billowing clouds, and probably faint enough...but there nonetheless)?
4) Is this scuttle visible in any TITANIC/OLYMPIC photos?
As stated in my previous reply, I'm guessing that some galley steam, non-condensable gases from the main condensers and perhaps auxiliary exhaust steam from the turbine room and sundry sources might have been exhausted through the fourth funnel as well. Combined with whatever is was that burned the galley coal supply, I'd imagine that under the right conditions, the fourth funnel might have given off a fair amount.

(NOTE: there is an item labeled "BOILER" just aft of the china storeroom, further inboard... but I assume this is a proper food "boiler" for boiling potatoes and such...not a "boiler" in the other sense. LOL)

ADDENDUM:
I discovered yet ANOTHER coal storage room/bunker on the same deck, nearly opposite of the one I discussed above, on the port side and just forward of the baker's shop... but this one has 21 tons capacity, for a total of over 50 tons of coal (in addition to 4 tons of coke). It, too, has it's own loading scuttle.

Attachments

• galley coal bunker.jpg
    galley coal bunker.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 259
  • d deck coal 2.jpg
    d deck coal 2.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
This is from the article below:
"Constructed on a vast scale the huge cooking ranges were manufactured by Henry Wilson & Co. Ltd., of Liverpool. Coal fired, the two ranges had a frontage of 96ft and incorporated 19 ovens, reckoned at the time to be the largest ever constructed. Elkington & Co. supplied the enormous range of cooking pots, all made in copper, zinc lined with heavy brass handles."
If your interested in the food aboard Titanic I would suggest reading the whole article. Lots of info in it. I also read in another article that there was a small prep area for people who wanted to follow the Kosher rules. Wasn't aware of that before.

P.S...30 tons if I piled it in your front yard would not seem like all that much. I was a fill in driver for awhile at a landscapping buisness. Drove a 15 ton dump truck. When I would deliver 15 tons of rock to customers they were always amazed that the pile wasn't that big. I often had to show them the weight slip from the gravel yard. Cheers.

Last edited:
This is from the article below:
"Constructed on a vast scale the huge cooking ranges were manufactured by Henry Wilson & Co. Ltd., of Liverpool. Coal fired, the two ranges had a frontage of 96ft and incorporated 19 ovens, reckoned at the time to be the largest ever constructed. Elkington & Co. supplied the enormous range of cooking pots, all made in copper, zinc lined with heavy brass handles."
If your interested in the food aboard Titanic I would suggest reading the whole article. Lots of info in it. I also read in another article that there was a small prep area for people who wanted to follow the Kosher rules. Wasn't aware of that before.

P.S...30 tons if I piled it in your front yard would not seem like all that much. I was a fill in driver for awhile at a landscapping buisness. Drove a 15 ton dump truck. When I would deliver 15 tons of rock to customers they were always amazed that the pile wasn't that big. I often had to show them the weight slip from the gravel yard. Cheers.
96 feet of coal-fired ranges... wow.
Not to mention any other cooking equipment that was coal-fired. Again, that indicates a fair amount of smoke to be vented out the 4th funnel...
Not much compared to the funnels serving the boiler rooms perhaps, but imagine the smoke generated by 19 Bar-B-Q grills LOL.

96 feet of coal-fired ranges... wow.
Not to mention any other cooking equipment that was coal-fired. Again, that indicates a fair amount of smoke to be vented out the 4th funnel...
Not much compared to the funnels serving the boiler rooms perhaps, but imagine the smoke generated by 19 Bar-B-Q grills LOL.
I'm sure at times it was pretty noticable. Yes quite the operation to feed the people onboard. When I was living on the carrier I was always amazed with the ship cooks and the gallies. Not that everybody ate 3 meals a day but they had the abilitly to cook and serve 15,000 meals a day. Those guys never got the credit they deserved. Cheers

This clip shows the galley smoke arrangement to fit in with Steven's input.
Out of interest, when I was at sea in the 60s to 80s, the ship's articles were posted on the cross alleyway accommodation bulkhead and mentioned "The engineers shall keep the galley well supplied with coal" even though I'd never sailed on a ship with anything other than electric galley equipment.
Titanic's ovens were electric and I remember on UK TV that they built one and used it to make a dinner at some stately home to members of a Titanic club. The galley ranges were indeed coal-fired per Steven's post, and didn't look a lot different in my electric day. I always reckoned they were too big and difficult to use, and I called them 'Mauretania galley ranges'. They've long gone in cruise ships, but I bet merchant ships still have them.

Attachments

• 1664038209340.jpeg
    1664038209340.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 110
This clip shows the galley smoke arrangement to fit in with Steven's input.
Out of interest, when I was at sea in the 60s to 80s, the ship's articles were posted on the cross alleyway accommodation bulkhead and mentioned "The engineers shall keep the galley well supplied with coal" even though I'd never sailed on a ship with anything other than electric galley equipment.
Titanic's ovens were electric and I remember on UK TV that they built one and used it to make a dinner at some stately home to members of a Titanic club. The galley ranges were indeed coal-fired per Steven's post, and didn't look a lot different in my electric day. I always reckoned they were too big and difficult to use, and I called them 'Mauretania galley ranges'. They've long gone in cruise ships, but I bet merchant ships still have them.
Yes. From other articles I've read Titanic's galley besides the main coal fired oven's had electric steamers (warmers) and other electrical devices such as potato peelers ect ect. I wonder how or if the ovens on Olympic were converted after she was changed to oil from coal in the early 1920's. Cheers.

I looked around but couldn't find anything on the galley after the retro fit of Olympic. If they did I'm guessing they went electric but not sure about that. Cheers.

Yes. From other articles I've read Titanic's galley besides the main coal fired oven's had electric steamers (warmers) and other electrical devices such as potato peelers ect ect. I wonder how or if the ovens on Olympic were converted after she was changed to oil from coal in the early 1920's. Cheers.
I suppose they could either have been oil-fired or kept as coal-fired. More likely electric galley ranges - I think I have a book somewhere dated 1927 that shows the ranges that were in use in my time at sea. Looked just like coal-fired ones but with electric elements!

I suppose they could either have been oil-fired or kept as coal-fired. More likely electric galley ranges - I think I have a book somewhere dated 1927 that shows the ranges that were in use in my time at sea. Looked just like coal-fired ones but with electric elements!
That's my guess too but don't know for sure as I couldn't find anything on it.

Back