CONSPIRACY THEORY

COULD THERE HAVE BEEN A CONSPIRACY TO SINK THE TITANIC? WHO WOULD HAVE HAD A MOTIVE? COULD THE DANGEROUS ICEBERG-RIDDEN COURSE AT HIGH SPEED WITHOUT BINOCULARS, WITHOUT REGARD TO MARCONI WARNINGS HAVE BEEN PLANNED? COULD THE EXPLOSIONS HAVE BEEN PART OF THIS CONSPIRACY?

I don't think so... Since Titanic was underinsured, why would White Star want to sink her? She was the newest and largest addition ever to their fleet. Also, a sinking of a ship like the Titanic would have brought bad publicity to WSL... Meaning WSL couldn't be responsible...

As for who COULD have had a motive, I'd say that Hapag, NDL, CGT or Cunard COULD have had a motive, being rival shipping companies, or perhaps the Germans, preparing for WW1... However, I do NOT believe that these people had any say; they would have a hard time convincing the crew, especially Cpt. Smith who had been with WSL for a long time, to deliberately sink the ship.

There was an attempt to miss the "dangerous iceberg-ridden course" (Capt. Smith turn "The Corner" later, to give Titanic a more southern course, thereby avoiding icebergs.) However, since the Mesaba and Californian's messages never made it past the Marconi office...

As for explosions, could you clarify? I don't recall any explosions occuring onboard...

1)There was no conspiracy. Just a string of mistakes leading up to a very bad day for the ship.

2)Nobody would have a motive for doing as you suggest and every reason to avoid such like the plague. As Daniel pointed out, the ship was underinsured. Also, killing 1500 of your own passengers and crew makes for really bad pubilicity which hurts future trade.

3)Follow the chain of events and what you find is that the bridge did recieve some ice warnings and steered a course further south in an attempt to avoid the ice that was actually reported.

4)Binoculars are actually not that useful on a lookout for anything save identifying a target once you know something is out there. They're virtually useless for searching. Having stood low visibility lookout watches myself, I don't have to guess at this. I know from personal experience.

5)There were no explosions on the ship during the sinking, although I recall a few people thought so. What they actually heard was the noise of the ship breaking up just befor the final plunge, then later, three destinct implosions as air filled compartments in the stern section caved in under the increasing water pressure.

6)Conspiracy theories may be fun to dabble with, and some people think that espousing them makes them look like the learned intellectuals who are really "in the know." Nothing could be further from the truth and none of these hysterical tales last long when run past people who actually know what they're talking about.

If you want to read the testimonys for yourself and the reports of two different investigating bodies, click on The Titanic Inquiry Project

If you want to get into detail on the actual forensics of the sinking, go HERE.

Danny, it's amazing how many people have heard of the so-called conspiracy. Most don't realise that it doesn't even have the pedigree of a seaman's yarn told in a 1912 Belfast pub.

It originated in a book by Robin Gardiner and Dan Van Der Vat. It appeared in 1995 and was published as The Riddle of the Titanic in England. In 1996 it was published as The Titanic Conspiracy in the USA.

The story is manifest nonsense and on page 261 of the book the authors admit it never happened. It's actually a small part of the book, which is otherwise a conventional but inaccurate account of the sinking.

Robin Gardiner has followed up with The Ship That Never Sank.

Apart from Michael's good points, have you ever tried to keep 15,000 Irishmen quiet?

just have to add my two cents to this... yes i have heard of the conspirancy theory, do i think its true? who knows but the point is rather moot. whatever the ship was titanic/olympic it doesn't take away from the fact that 1500 people still died that night nor does any of the things that we all love about the ship change, seasons greetings, merry xmas to all
happy.gif
kaz
happy.gif

G'Day Kaz...not to be excedingly blunt, but there's no "who knows" about it. The whole conspiracy theory angle is a very recent contrivance. To pull off a ship switch such as what Gardiner and Van Der Vat suggested simply could not be done without a cast of thousands knowing about it, and whom I can gaurantee you wouldn't keep quiet.

There is nothing that people in a day of increasing union organizing and activism would have loved more then a chance to catch the "Big Boys" trying something underhanded. The chance to expose a scheme like this...which couldn't possibly been hidden in a shipyard...would have seemed to them a heaven sent gift.

The fact that the authors themselves admitted that it never happened in the end of their original tome should have been enough to put an end to this a long time ago.

I guess it's because conspiracy theories sell pretty well.
wink.gif

I guess I will kaz
happy.gif

Seriously though, with all facts on the table the 'conspiracy theory' is just as silly and fictional as the 'mummy story,' if not more. The mummy story at least can be traced back to Stead's fiction and therefore relates to real life and people (even if rather remotely); but especially the 'Olympic-Titanic switch theory' is so utterly nonsensical and implausible on so many levels that one couldn't decide where to begin dissecting it.

Back