Crew marriages

Hallo Jane -

Joseph Boxhall married Marjory Bedells on 25th March 1919. From what the family have told me the marriage was a happy one. The couple had no children.

Henry Wilde married Mary Catherine Jones when the couple were quite young, only in their mid twenties (by way of comparison, most of Wilde's Titanic colleagues didn't marry until they were at least 30). I have a marriage certificate here somewhere, but the files are in a phenomally chaotic state as I'm going through a systematic reorganisation that is so systematic I can't find anything at the moment. The couple were near neighbours in Walton at the time of their marriage, and Mary Catherine Jones was very slightly older than her husband (about a year).

All the best,

Inger

Jane,
As Inger said above, Boxhall had a childless marriage to Marjory Bedells--they were both 35 at the time of their marriage in 1919. Marjorie was the daughter of a manufacturer.

Mary Catherine Jones was called "Polly" and died
on Christmas Eve of 1910 at the age of 38 leaving Wilde a widower with several children.

Fleet married Eva LeGros who also died at Christmastime--of 1964. Fleet committed suicide a couple of weeks later.

Regards,
Phil

The other tragic detail to add to the death of Wilde's wife is that it came just after the death of their newborn twin sons. I only have the details on Archie Wilde, as I imagine that the other death was for reasons similar to those listed on his certificate: 'congenital debility'. Is it possible they were premature? Archie's death was on 1st December 1910, Polly's death came soon after on the 24th December from complications arising from the birth.

There was a rumour circulating for a while in Titanic cirles that all three had died of scarlet fever. I wonder if perhaps someone had heard speculation about 'puerperal fever' being the cause of Polly's death and became confused? Puerperal fever is not listed on her death certificate, but as childbirth was a cause it could lead to speculation that it was the reason if one only knew that she died after the birth of the twins.

I'd never made the connection with Fleet's wife dying around Christmas time, Phil. Thanks for that detail.

~ Inger

Thank you Inger & Phillip.

Such a tragedy about about Wilde's family but I guess babies dying was far more prevalent back then than it is today. Inger, do you have any idea what Wilde's wife died of? I always thought if a woman was going to die after childbirth it would be right away, not three or so weeks later.

Also, do you know who got custody of his children when he died?

Jane

Hallo Jane -

I'm reading this off the copy of the entry of death without referring to a medical text, so hopefully someone can correct the spelling.

Causes of death listed as:

Pyelitis of Pregnancy
Phlebilis Pulmonary
Cuiboliani Pneumonia

I understand his sister was given custody (perhaps Geoff or Phil can confirm this). I do have some info about one of the children dating to some years later, but haven't done that much work on the Wilde family yet.

~ Inger

Ing-

The one is "phlebitis", which is inflammation of the vein. Pyelitis checks out all right in spelling. Have no clue on "Cuiboliani" pneumonia.

No MD here, but basically Wilde's wife died of an inflammation of the lining of the kidney related to pregnancy (possible kidney failure involved?), inflammation of the pulmonary vein (bringing blood from the heart to the lungs to be oxygenated) and some sort of pneumonia. The latter two are probably related, though I shouldn't know to say precisely how.

Still baffled by "cuiboliani" pneumonia...not in any sort of medical texts that I've ever seen. Though of course bad handwriting could make it look so when it was something else entirely?

Closest I can think of is Chlamydia pneumoniae, the name of a pneumonia-causing virus. It's a close cousin to the virus causing psitticosis, AKA "parrot fever".

Or maybe it could be Coccidioides immitis, a fungus causing pneumonia.

Of course, it could also be some obscure and archaic name for a sort of pneumonia...there are just about as many ways to contract the disease as you'll find stars in the sky.

The pulmonary phlebitis was likely a contributing factor--chest and adbominal surgery/injury causes the inability to take deep breaths, which can more easily cause pneumonia. Phlebitis would be rather like Boxhall's pleurisy in that breathing would likely be difficult and painful and more readily lead to the pneumonia.

On phlebitis, it's more likely to develop in pregnant women and those who are bedridden, so that makes sense.

Back