Deck Plating thicknesses

So, I am new here, and I would like to first say hello to everyone, and that I am excited to hopefully be able to utilize this resource quite a bit.

Secondly, my question. I am a student of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (sophomore), and for our CAD class, our final project is a midship section. I have decided to reproduce Titanic's, and I most of the necessary information, save for a couple things:

1) the deck thicknesses of the roof of the boat deck house at amidships, the boat deck, A Deck, F deck, and G deck

2)the dimensions of the Web frames for all decks.

If anyone can supply this information, or knows of a (free) reliable source I would be very appreciative. If not, I could do my best to use the dimensions I have to determine the rest.

Thanks a bunch!

Welcome aboard!

Look at the Titanic Research & Modeling site. There is a research article on “Titanic’s Blueprints”, some of the snippets there may reveal some of the thicknesses. "The Shipbuilder" and "Engineering" journals also describe plating and web frames in the text sections.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks- I have read the TRMA Article on the blueprints, and I have read "the Shipbuilder"'s articles- how might I find the "Engineering" articles? I looked for them online, but I couldn't find it...

Thanks again!

Ben

I’ve just mentioned part of finding Engineering in Joe Burgard’s thread on Recip Engine Plans. Look in the online catalogues of the City or University libraries near you. This will be under Journal or Periodical Titles. The (London 1866- ) reference will help separate it from many other hits, a magazine of the same title was published in New York during this era.

Be careful of the general description of the journal’s “run” compared to what’s actually in the library’s holdings. Also consider that microfilms of the magazine won’t reproduce large drawings very well. This material will definitely be non circulating so it has to be a library you can get to. Look reserved when you go in too, they have trouble with abuse of the rare, fragile books. But acknowledging that it is for personal hobby use is fine, sometimes they want to up the prices if it is for commercial use. If all goes well you will be allowed to copy it near the service desk’s area. I allow hours for this, scan the index, list and check the pages of interest, manhandle the 10x14 volumes through the photocopier...time will really fly if you let yourself start reading the pages.

You may also find in the catalogue that it is in storage in which case you may have to come back another day to read it, learn about this before you go. If you are going for a lot of material consider getting a copier card, less coin, lower prices and more machines use it. Count off the page and plate numbers before you leave, you’d hate to miss a page and even worse, twice I’ve found that somebody had razored plates out of the book (no class).

In my case it is $7 and 3 hours return to university by transit so using the Linda Hall service I mentioned is tempting. The only limit would be that requests over multiple books will run up multiple fees but otherwise they seem quite good. I’m just waiting for a replacement for one of those razored pages right now.

Good luck, Bill

Thanks again for the help- unfortunately I don't really have access to a university (I'm a student, but on a VERY small campus, so the resources are limited). The library is trying to get a copy of "Titanic: The Ship Magnificent", so hopefully that will get in soon.

anyway, thanks again for all your help!

Ben

Back