Descendants of Sidney Sedunary

The following would appear to be the last conclusive evidence of the death of Sidney Sedunary.
178 Male - Estimated age, 25.
Hair, brown.
Moustache, light.
Buried at sea
Tattooed right arm; "anchor and rose," wife's name "Madge." Six pawn tickets in possession, and following addresses: Henry Murray, Sailor's home, Southampton, and 45 Fir Grove Road, Southampton; Sidney Sedunary, 47 Fir Grove Road and 98 N'land, Road, Southampton: John Sedunary, 47 Fir Grove Road, Southampton.
My daughter and I are trying to trace any family of Sidney who may still be living in Southampton or elsewhere to get more of an insight if possible.
As a lawyer there appears to be a pretty major coverup of events on the lower decks and we would like to seek more information.
The name appears to be a coincidence but in Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia (which co-incidentally is in the very middle of Australia i.e. desert no water and definitely no seamen) in the middle of the local park there is a Titanic Memorial (ostensibly to the band members) which got my daughter going.

>>As a lawyer there appears to be a pretty major coverup of events on the lower decks ...<<

For example...????
smoke.gif

One obvious example is the fact that very few of the lowest deck crew/passengers were called as witnesses (albeit few were amongst the survivors). A sinking vessel fills from the bottom up. This would give a better picture of the behavior of the vessel and its commanding crew from the time of impact to sinking. Yet the enquiry avoided this issue clearly.

Hello John,
welcome to Titanica.
If Sidney had six pawn tickets in his possession, it sounds as though times were a bit tough. Although, a recently restored and released hoard of films from the 1900s made the comment this week that it was quite common to pawn your best clothes during the week, and get them back when you got paid, in time for Sunday best. It's an unusual name, are you directly related to him?

Lord Mersey certainly seemed to have an agenda of some sort as he was fairly brisk when the evidence looked as if it may stray from his remit and, of course, it was the Board of Trade holding an Inquiry into its own procedures, which seems rather odd to us. We've had quite a few Inquiries here recently, though, and I'm not sure at all that things have improved much!

If you are a lawyer, I'm sure you'll agree that the interventions and efforts (or lack of) of the various counsel at the British Inquiry are quite as interesting as what the witnesses had to say.

>>One obvious example is the fact that very few of the lowest deck crew/passengers were called as witnesses<<

Ahhh..okay...I was wondering if you had something else in mind.

>>A sinking vessel fills from the bottom up. This would give a better picture of the behavior of the vessel and its commanding crew from the time of impact to sinking. Yet the enquiry avoided this issue clearly.<<

There were a lot of issue the Inquiry avoided and it wasn't for nothing that Lightoller made that caustic remark about the Whitewash Brush being out. Just beware that I don't think the concern was over the crew's behaviour. Considering that most of them knew they would be dead by morning, they still "turned to" and did their best. If anything, that particular quality tended to be exaggerated. IMO, the Merwey Court had other fish to cover up fry.

7th February 2010 - Sad News I am afraid.

Mr. Sid Sedunary son of Sidney Sedunary who perished on the RMS Titanic passed away yesterday,6th February 2010 - he was 97 years old.
Sid was born on December 4th 1912 and lived a very quiet life.
He was a real gentleman and will be missed.

Brian J. Ticehurst

Hello Yvette, the book ''Titanic Why'' was a private publication - I think all the copies were sold - I am checking for you but I dont think any copies are available.

Jason - The book was written by his son also Sid Sedunary who passed away - see below:

Son Sidney was born on 4th December 1912 and died on 6th February 2010 aged 97 years. He was buried in the Reading Crematorium and Henley Road Cemetery, All Hallows Road, Caversham, Reading, Berkshire, RG4 5LP. Plot number BR17195 on February 22nd, 2010.

Entry from Titanic Memorials Worldwide.

Cheers Brian

207999.jpg

The Titanic Why? is a scarce 28-page publication, which Brian, typically helpful, brought out for Sid. It is A4 format.

It is an assembly of musings about a large number of matters related to the Titanic, not always accurate. There is an extremely limited amount about Sid's father.

I was fortunate to accompany Sid on a trip to Halifax NS in 2002, organised by the incomparable Dave O'Leary, in which he traced his father's name on the wall of the local maritime museum and visited the graves of the Titanic dead. It was a very important duty for him, I think.

Sid was an utter gent, and fortunate that the lovely Nikki always kept an eye on him. That was a great trip.

Back