Description of recovered bodies

is really sad to know how young some of them were and to know how many have been found isn't even half of the many still to be recovered and laid to rest in peace. Its also sad to think of the number of babies who never made it and died or the Ladies and Men who died alone screaming and freezing! I wish they could go back and have more life boats and built the boast better and not made the trip till Summer in the heat not as many icebergs! R.I.P. I pray you are having the time of your after life in Heaven!!

Why isn't my relative William Thomas Kerley listed in this? We know he was one of the last ones recovered on June 6th, '12. Did they not take any records of what he had on him?

I also found it amazing how many of the 3rd Class passengers had hundreds of dollars, & other currency, on them & how some of the 1st Class passengers didn't have much money. That was really interesting.

I don't know if you'll get this reply, or if you know the answer already by now, but these descriptions of items found on recovered bodies were taken down mainly by the CS Mackay-Bennett and other cable ships sent out for that specific purpose, but your relative was "noticed by a passing vessel homeward bound", the SS Ottawa, a tanker ship

I also found it amazing how many of the 3rd Class passengers had hundreds of dollars, & other currency, on them & how some of the 1st Class passengers didn't have much money. That was really interesting.
This is because most of third class was carrying their entire life savings with them. First class had all their money back home or in banks, so there was no need to physically have it on them at the time. Third class had no choice but to bring it with them as they immigrated.

If recovered without valid ID, which first class corpses would have been misidentified for second class or third class? If recovered without valid ID, which third class corpses would have been misidentified for first class or second class?

If recovered without valid ID, which first class corpses would have been misidentified for second class or third class? If recovered without valid ID, which third class corpses would have been misidentified for first class or second class?
I don't think there would have been much misidentification without an ID, as the clothing styles on the victims was likely enough of an indication, since the styles differed so much between the classes

Back