Did any Titanic or Lusitania survivors die in the Holocaust?

Dan Kappes

I'm curious because a lot of people who boarded ocean liners in those days were Europeans, and the Holocaust killed many European Jews.

I'm curious because a lot of people who boarded ocean liners in those days were Europeans, and the Holocaust killed many European Jews.
I've never read of any that died in the camps if thats what your refering to. But some were killed by the germans in WW2 by torpedo and during the blitz. There is some speculation and research suggesting that Rosa Pinsky might have have been killed by the nazis but I don't think theres been anything definant found yet.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Maybe Jewish passengers on Titanic most likely wasn't killed in the holocaust, but on other liners most likely, Like German and French liners, also even some British passengers.

There is some speculation and research suggesting that Rosa Pinsky might have have been killed by the nazis but I don't think theres been anything definant found yet
I tried to research into the fate of Rosa Pinsky and got limited but reliable information. She visited her native Poland early in 1912 and was actually returning to America as a Second Class passenger on board the Titanic. She was rescued on board Lifeboat 9 and was recuperating in New York. For some unexplained reason she found remaining in the USA difficult (she was a widow by then) and at some unspecified time returned to Poland. AFAIK she was still there during WW1 and later when the Bolsheviks came to power in Russia and presumably found it difficult to leave. So, she was still 'trapped' in Poland when WW2 started but although she was Jewish, her family reportedly did not face too much hardship during the Nazi occupation. However, it is believed that Rosa and her family were killed by Ukranian nationalists sometime in 1943 as part of the Wolyn massacre. There is a possibility that her daughter Leah survived that massacre and eventually returned to USA but I need to follow-up with my source about this.

I tried to research into the fate of Rosa Pinsky and got limited but reliable information. She visited her native Poland early in 1912 and was actually returning to America as a Second Class passenger on board the Titanic. She was rescued on board Lifeboat 9 and was recuperating in New York. For some unexplained reason she found remaining in the USA difficult (she was a widow by then) and at some unspecified time returned to Poland. AFAIK she was still there during WW1 and later when the Bolsheviks came to power in Russia and presumably found it difficult to leave. So, she was still 'trapped' in Poland when WW2 started but although she was Jewish, her family reportedly did not face too much hardship during the Nazi occupation. However, it is believed that Rosa and her family were killed by Ukranian nationalists sometime in 1943 as part of the Wolyn massacre. There is a possibility that her daughter Leah survived that massacre and eventually returned to USA but I need to follow-up with my source about this.
That's a definite possibility. Some estimates put the number of killed at 200K during that massacre. It was known for its brutality that was almost indescribable. I tried to find out more about her but kept coming with nothing more than what is already available. I haven't seen it but the poles made a movie about it that is supposed to be quite good/accurate. I don't know the numbers but many immigrants went back to their old countries because of various reasons. Anyway good post Arun.

I contacted my source about Rosa Pinsky and there is some new information which might explain why she did not remain in the USA after the disaster. I have posted this under her bio on ET.

There seems to be confusion about her age. On her bio here on E.T. the list 3 different ages and on this from the Pigeon Forge exhibit they list an even older age. But its hard to tell about that one as in are those her words or somebody elses? I couldn't tell for sure.
titanic-boarding-pass-pinsky-rosa.jpg

Well, I don't know. If you see the info about Rosa Pinsky (posted on her bio here) that I got from a reliable source who has done several years of research about her and her descendants, the Pigeon Forge plaque seems like a fake. According to my sources, Rosa Pinsky never actually lived in New York and but may have been planning to move there with her children. That explains why she did not stay in New York after the disaster but returned to Poland and her family there.

The wording of it kind of threw me off. But I can understand them doing it for their exhibit as part of the tour to find out what happened to the passengers. I would chalk it up as a paraphrase not they were trying to fake people out. I went to an exhibition once where they had a name of someone on Titanic that was on your receipt and at the end of the tour you found out what happened to them. I see that as sort of the same thing. Anyway I found like 4 different ages for her so that is confusing. There was a lot ethnic cleansing going on and after the war. I've read that when many of the eastern countries kicked the german descendants out after the war as many as a million were killed before they could get back to Germany. All the way up to 1947-48. Not positive about that number but I could believe it.

About the only thing that everyone seems to agree on is the answer to this thread's OP.

Rosa Pinksy certainly was a Titanic survivor who died in the Holocaust decades later.

Back