Did the stern turn round?

LukeW17

Did the stern really turn round over the area where the bow sank after the break up?

No sinking simulations show this and it doesn’t seem to be mentioned at all.

Several eyewitnesses claim this happened, even Lightoller. So did it happen and what do you guys think?

Luke

Looking at the wreck it is remarkable that the stern is facing exactly the opposite way. It is my belief that the stern broke at one side and swung around and stopped when it possibly slammed against the bow which made it face the exact opposite way and threw a wave of water over the boat deck as it swung around.

bowstern.png

breakturn.png

Well it certainly speaks for itself that it turned round at some point.

Funny how it’s never brought up in newer simulations

Luke

The stern certainly did make some movements during the breakup and beyond. I believe the main cause of this was the port list. As the stern fell back, it would have bobbed around in the water for about a minute, gradually increasing its tendency to lean over to port. This was witnessed and described by Charles Joughin as he saw a group of people pile up violently in the well deck. This would have rotated the deck 90 degrees away from starboard as observed by Jack Thayer as the propellors were exposed to him. This was all the Titanic twisted around. When Lightoller said the stern "turned around," I don't think he meant a complete 180. And then as the stern was pulled down by the bow, the tail end of the ship would have shot upwards over to the spot where the bow had gone down moments before. This is portrayed in "Titanic: Honor and Glory"'s real time sinking video, History Channel's 2013 simulation, the 2012 "Final Word" National Geographic simulation, and in Parks Stephenson's 2006 CG sinking diagrams.

Videos and links posted in order:

More Questions Than Answers, Part 2

Yeah that sounds similar to what the witnesses described etc. With it being dark wouldn’t have made it any easier to see for sure

Luke

There is a large section of her side that is bent 90 degrees. Would be interested to get a closer look to see if the hull was bent over by the stern rotating before detaching, or if the side bent over when the stern keeled heavily to port.

In the documentary '100 years of Titanic: Mysteries Solved' the narrator said the following:

"A huge section of the Titanic's side called shell plating. Longer than 60 feet and probably weighing over 40 tons. It's inch thick steel is bent 90 degrees by the violence."

steelangle.png

Does it really matter whether or not the stern "turned around"?

Analysis paralysis.
It was just a question that interested me lol, like Kyle said it’s fun to go over little details and see what people’s opinions are about it

It’s good to have discussions about different subjects

Back