does the rivet theory take the olympic, britannic and other ships built by harland & wolff in account?

Hello, this is something I've started wondering because it feels like proponents of the rivet theory don't apply it to the olympic or britannic even tho those ships were done by the same shipyard and the olympic next to the titanic. The olympic got to have a long carreer and was seen as a strong ship.

Thanks for your answers!

about the Olympic and uboat,there was one more thing they got.. in dry docks for inspections after collision i think they found one or two hull deformations suggesting there was unsucceful torpedo attack attempt too..

as for Olympic if he did collide with iceberg same way titanic did he would sink surely because same materials were used,also weak rivets! in case of britannic it was upgraded after titanic loss so if britannic hit iceberg in titanic style,it could have reached flood limit but not sink (britannic could stay motionless on water with 6 compartments flooded).

titanic had some opened portholes too but not as much as britannic but in final sinking stage they helped get water in quicker a little. that why port list ramped up because some portside cabins flooded while some starboard cabins didnt flood. anyway those opened portholes on titanic did not pay any key roles because there was only few opened.

Last edited:
about the Olympic and uboat,there was one more thing they got.. in dry docks for inspections after collision i think they found one or two hull deformations suggesting there was unsucceful torpedo attack attempt too..
September 4, 1918. U-53 had a crack at the Olympic. Two torpedoes were fired, one missed and another hit the Olympic but did not detonate.

Torpedoes connecting with a target but failing to detonate was a lot more common in World War One and the early years of World War Two than many people today realise.

Mark Chirnside has a fantastic in-depth article on this particular event on his treasure trove of a website here if you are interested- https://markchirnside.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Article-OLY-Target-Olympic-Feuer.pdf

Back