E deck cabins

Hi! I was just wondering if someone got any pictures of the E deck cabins in first class. I have searched internet and there are no pictures in the books i have. I just want to know how they looked like and how they where.

Hi Fredrik,

Here is a photo of a First Class three berth cabin on D Deck - those on E Deck would have been similar if not identical.

119371.jpg

Best Regards,

Brian

Jonathan, thank you, found it.

Daniel will be able to advise, but as it has a sofa my understanding is that it would be one of the outside 3-berth rooms in the section that had on Olympic originally been a 2nd Class room and is probably a photograph from the Olympic? - I am surprised by the double wash basin.

Lester

Lester,

Yes, that photo is from 1932 (or 1931), taken after this section of staterooms on Olympic were converted to Tourist Class cabins. There is little in the photo which resembles what it once looked like - or what it would have looked like on Titanic. The sofa is pretty much the only piece of furniture (visible) which would have been there since 1911.

I'll have to check what the Olympic room number was, but this stateroom is in the same location as Titanic's E 68.

Also, the staterooms on E Deck were not all the same. The fore staterooms were geared towards 1st Class passengers, while the aft staterooms were furnished with the intent of 2nd Class passenger use in mind, and the fittings reflected that.

Regards,

Daniel.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for that. - A 1913 Olympic Fare Rate booklet has E-72 in the position of E-68 on the Titanic.

Hope you are keeping well,
Lester

Lester,

Yes, that photo is from 1932 (or 1931), taken after this section of staterooms on Olympic were converted to Tourist Class cabins. There is little in the photo which resembles what it once looked like - or what it would have looked like on Titanic. The sofa is pretty much the only piece of furniture (visible) which would have been there since 1911.

I'll have to check what the Olympic room number was, but this stateroom is in the same location as Titanic's E 68.

Also, the staterooms on E Deck were not all the same. The fore staterooms were geared towards 1st Class passengers, while the aft staterooms were furnished with the intent of 2nd Class passenger use in mind, and the fittings reflected that.

Regards,

Daniel.

I can't remember if I read this here or in TTSM Volume 2 but I vaguely recall coming across information that stated cabins as far aft as E68 had bunk beds as opposed to regular beds. In fact, it may have been from a picture with the caption "This is what E-68 would have resembled on Titanic." And sure enough there were bunk beds in the photograph. I do know from glancing at the deck plans that E43-E68 were considered 1st/2nd alternative but counted as 2nd. Of course the Taussig family were booked into E66 and E68. Would they have been sleeping in bunks?

This also makes me wonder why if this was counted more as a 2nd class alternative, and seeing how first class was far from booked, why was the White Star Line assigning first class passengers into an area that was more or less considered second class accommodations? I know 79 pounds (which was the price the Taussig family paid) was about as cheap as a party of three could get but there should surely be enough to perhaps book them further up on E deck in a section considered first.

Two other points this brings up. I know a few people transferred cabins far down on E Deck including Gee and Case who were in E63 and E66 respectively. Would this be due to having bunk beds instead of a bed? I see it is counted as 2nd class from E43 onwards, but because I have only that one picture stating this was equivalent to E68 I am not sure how far the bunk beds would have extended forward. And would other passengers such as the Silvey's, Compton's, and Harder's who were berthed in rooms beyond E43 have to sleep in bunks as well? Looking at the deck plans I can clearly see the sofa bed in the considered second class accommodations but I am basing the idea of bunk beds on what I saw in the picture that was equivalent to Titanic's E68. And I don't see why these passengers would not have been booked further in the first class accommodated rooms.

I considered myself quite intelligent on many maters with Titanic but coming across that picture really stumped me. Thank you to anyone in advance who might have some knowledge on this!

Back