Eating and Drinking in the Public Rooms

Were tea and other things served in all the public rooms, or just in the designated restaurants like the Cafe Parisien or A la Carte Restaurant. If people sitting in the lounge wanted to have something to drink, then why not a whole meal, as well.
(Sorry if the question sounds inane...)

It's hard to say where a particular steward would draw the line if a passenger was sufficiently persuasive (and generous!), but it was the intention of the management that only light refreshments would be served in the Palm Court and Verandah Cafe, and afternoon tea and after-dinner coffee in the Lounge.

Mozi,

The A deck Lounge pantry was quite reasonably fitted with hotplaces and other things. Of course it wasn't as elaborate as the galley areas on D deck, but light meals could be made there (and thus served from) to cater the Lounge and I guess reading and writing room. But certainly tea, coffee and some alcohol was served from that pantry.

Daniel.

The 'lounge pantry' was quite substantial, as it also served the surrounding promenade deck space. Traveller's guides at the time recommended that passengers who liked to be served with meals 'on deck' should remember at the end of the voyage to reward the deck steward with a one pound tip rather than the usual 'ten bob'.

Light meals were served in the Palm Court and the lounge. From what I know, the Palm Court only had a few hot plates and a coffee perculator. Does anyone know about the Smoking Room? I was wondering if they had their own pantry or just used the Palm Court's?

-Adam Lang

Could the passengers ask for tea in the R/W room? And were cakes and other kinds of confectionary and sweets served during the tea break in the lounge or in the Reception Room? Were there many varieties of food to accompany the tea?

Regards, JC

Joao,

I'm not sure of this myself, but I would guess there would be some type of lounge attendant with tea in the R/W Room. It would be awfully inconvenient for a lady to go all the way to the Lounge to have her tea. But most women stayed in the dining room for the evening anyway and could definitely get tea there.

As for the second and third question, I'm not so sure about those. I'm guessing there would most likely be light snacks such as scones and jam for guests to have with their tea. Can anyone else confirm this?

-Adam Lang

Back