Ebay Auctions

Check out the fabulous poster for the Japanese release of Raise the Titanic-just type the name of the movie in the ebay search box(item# 1471442060) and scroll to the bottom of the first page. Nearly 20 bucks with 6 days to go though....
A 1903 Cunard sailing schedule is up to $50 already (look for it under searchbox topic "Carpathia") -an original Harper's Weekly with survivors in the lifeboat on the cover is under the same heading and is currently affordable. Now- just off to rob a bank,,,,,

PLEASE READ: Hi all!

A month or two ago, I purchased a "Harlan & Wold approved" musical snow globe on e-bay. I just noticed that this item is again up for bids, hence my warning.

On line it looked like a beautiful product. (and it is!) However I wanted to pass on a warning to anyone who is interested in this item; a "caveat emptor" (sp?) if you will: The sellers of this item (Marysbest)were unreliable and dishonest sellers. Before bidding I asked about the music played. The response for the seller (who's name was not Mary--it was Larry) was curt and incorrect. When the item (finally!)arrived it played an entirely different piece of music. That was frustrating, however this was not the end of it. The item was to say the least in bad shape; scared dome and waterdamaged lable. Additionally the seller lied to me about when it was mailed and that was only after I had sent him 2 or 3 "when will it arrive" emails.

My first response was to write a polite note to this seller with my concerns. This note has gone unanswered.

My aim is to put some facts (as I've experienced them) out there for all of you so that you can make your own decisions. I know that Kyrila has had non-negative experiences with these folks (as near as we can firgure, it's the same folks), but my fear is that her transaction was the exception not the rule.

Happy shopping to all. I hope this is a helpful warning.
-kate.

Kate,

If you can't get any feedback from the seller, email them and let them know that you plan on posting negative feedback about your transaction, that should bring them around.

B
happy.gif

Thanks Beverly, I have done that and the lack of response is what has prompted me to warn all of you. They have received some negative feedback in the past, but it dosen't appear that they're too concerned about it. But you're right--they SHOULD care!
-kate.

Worse than that, you can contact EBAY and tell them of shoddy business practices. That will get their attention QUICK! Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it covered under the ebay "insurance" that the item had better be as they describe it, or else????
Colleen

I always look carefully at any seller's feedback before I do business with anyone on Ebay. One or two negative responses doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the seller; crazy buyers can and do exist. But if I see quite a few negative replies, it lets me know that the seller is the problem, not the buyers. Of course, you have to calculate the percentage of negative responses to their positive responses in order to determine how much negative feedback is too much. If a person has five negative responses and 1000 positive ones, it's probably five oddball buyers. If they have five negative responses out of 30 responses total, then the odds go in the other direction.

I've been lucky on Ebay; I've haven't been burned yet.

Well, it happened. After trying to reach them again, I left negative feedback. I said that the product was not as described and that the seller wouldn't respond to my emails trying to rectify (sp?) the situation. And guess what happened?? They left REALLY negative feedback for me--personal and mean!
Okay now I'm mad! Please help me Oh ET pals. What do I do now? How do I lodge a complaint with Ebay? And please anyone even thinking about buying something from these folks MARYSBEST, don't do it. My emails and even my feedback were pretty mild and didn't warrent the type of personal rant they posted about me in a public forum.
Any suggestions? Should I just let this one go?

-Confused Kate

Hi Kate...
Sorry to hear about you bad eBay experience.
As Michael stated... you could put the "word out to one and all of everyone you know" but you could go one step further if eBay dont rectify the situation.
You could post a message in an eBay Community Forum to tell all those you DON'T know about your troubled seller.
Cheers
D Sea

Just been looking at what I cannot afford on ebay and found some very nice item up for sale at the moment.
Check these out:
Isador Straus plaque
1912 Photo
Titanic Plate
I remember a thread where I was asking if plates were taken off Titanic prior to sailing and used until the mid 1990's. Seems my memory isn't making things up
happy.gif

Enjoy
David
PS My birthday is only 9 months away... hint! hint!

Wow, over $1000 already on the 1912 photo. FWIW, the photo for sale under the 1912 Photo link mentioned above appeared on the cover of the Spring 1979 Titanic Commutator, with the caption:

Survivors of Titanic returning home on the Adriatic.

There was no accompaning article in that quarter's edition, but the inside cover page says:

(Cover Photo Courtesy of Southern Evening Newspapers Ltd. & Mrs. Mabel Matthews)

Ebay has been a superb place for me to find some truly wonderful Titanic goodies. My Lightoller, Thayer,and Shipbuilders Titanic books all came from Ebay. My advice to all of you- SNIPE!!!

Dont bid until the last 20 seconds, thus not giving competition chance to outbid you.

Happy hunting.

Regards
Tarn Stephanos

Back