Elevators and Pool

Hi, I have a couple questions regarding the Titanic.

Recently I found out that there was a pool on board and was wondering if it was for 1st class passengers only or were 2nd class passengers allowed to swim in it as well?

My other question deals with the Elevators on board the Titanic. There were 4 lifts on Titanic with 3 being for 1st class use and 1 being for 2nd class use. Was the 2nd class elevator manned at all times like the 3 1st class ones and were the elevators controlled by pushing buttons?

The pool was definitely for first class only.

The second class lift would have been manned much like the first class, as the passengers couldn't operate it as we do today. I can't be specific on the times. Something in my ancient brain tells me that old lifts were operated by a control lever. The operator used to perch on a little seat and work the lever, while calling out the number of each floor and its features. The operator also told intending passengers which way the lift was going.

Non-automatic elevators were usually operated by a wheel with a crank handle on it. Cranking the wheel one way sent the car upward; the other way sent it down. The wheel also gave the operator control of the car's speed.

Operating an elevator took some skill to avoid jerky takeoffs and landings. A really good operator could not only stop the car without a jerk, they could stop it exactly flush with the sill of the floor passengers would be stepping onto. A less-skilled operator might have to try bumping the car up and down a bit to get it flush.

Good operators were always sought out by luxury establishments, which catered to people who didn't care to be jostled.

Sandy,

What a concise and fun bit of history! I never know what I'll find on these boards but tidbits like this are why I keep coming back.

I'm a big fan of paternosters and escalators, so if you have anything to share regarding their use on the Titanic or other older ships, chime in.

Jim

Non-automatic elevators were usually operated by a wheel with a crank handle on it. Cranking the wheel one way sent the car upward; the other way sent it down. The wheel also gave the operator control of the car's speed.

Operating an elevator took some skill to avoid jerky takeoffs and landings. A really good operator could not only stop the car without a jerk, they could stop it exactly flush with the sill of the floor passengers would be stepping onto. A less-skilled operator might have to try bumping the car up and down a bit to get it flush.

Good operators were always sought out by luxury establishments, which catered to people who didn't care to be jostled.

So are you saying that the elevators had to be cranked by hand in Titanic? I thought Titanic had electric elevators in it.

What are the chances that a 2nd class passenger would be able to sneak access to the pool?

No, I believe what is being said is that the elevator on Titanic had an attendant that would manually control the elevator stopping on the decks the passengers wished to visit. The control used a lever that would be turned in different directions that would control the motor. So it was electric, but was not a simple operation as in today's elevators where one can simply press the button and be taken to the level they want to go to.

If one hasn't ridden in an old lift (elevator), it isn't the enclosed box like room found today, but a more open cage like affair that you can see through. The lift attendant would stand beside the sliding safety gate (no solid doors).

I think Sir at that period the lifts were new for some people and even the lifts were very slow while going up or down because it was controlled by the hand with the help of Liver so that he can stop the lift properly at a specific floor. And they also had lift attendant to move the lift up and down and to help the people if any problem arises.

I think that it had a very less capacity to carry passengers, because it was very small in size as compared to today's Lift {Elevator}.

Back