Engineer with lost fingers

Zirnitra

there was report of seeing engineer with lost fingers and hand covered in blood,did it really happen? if so what could be reason,watertight door cut fingers or something wrong happened in one of boiler rooms that resulted in this kind injury?

It was not an engineer and so far I know it is only 2nd class passenger Charlotte Collyer who claims: "Suddenly there was a commotion near one of the gangways, and we saw a stoker climbing up from below. He stopped a few feet away from us. All of the fingers of one hand had been cut off. Blood was running from the stumps, and blood was spattered over his face and over his clothes. The red marks showed very clearly against the coal dust with which he was covered."

There would be a lot of possible industrial accidents when conducting damage control on a sinking ship which could result in that kind of injury.

was thinking about bilge and ballast pumps,if something did get stuck in pump and the stoker tried to remove the obstacle with his hands and once obstacle was removed the machine just ripped his fingers off?.. if it was just broken steam pipe, escaping steam would not cut his fingers,instead could cause stage 2 stage 3 burns. was thinking about watertight doors reopen/closing and the door slided down while he had fingers in doorframe...

was thinking about bilge and ballast pumps,if something did get stuck in pump and the stoker tried to remove the obstacle with his hands and once obstacle was removed the machine just ripped his fingers off?.. if it was just broken steam pipe, escaping steam would not cut his fingers,instead could cause stage 2 stage 3 burns. was thinking about watertight doors reopen/closing and the door slided down while he had fingers in doorframe...
Maybe he got his fingers in between the furnace doors as they were being ordered shut...

then these furnace doors would need to have sharp edges,but any ship part cant act as guillotine. i asked some other "shipyard worker" and he said that watertight doors can be really deadly if used inproperly,there was many incidents (fatal ones too) on modern ships and they were noted,we dont have much information how many deaths or injuries were caused by watertight doors on older ships... i forgot what one ship used to have most kills and by watertight doors,queen mary or queen mary 2?

Back