Eyes of the Ship

Don't want to sound dumb, but where and what exactly are "the eyes of the ship?" I've read that for heavy, Olympic had extra lookouts posted "in the eyes of the ship" but this sounds in addition to the crows next---does this mean the bridge wings or on the bow somewhere? Any info will be appreciated.

So there were more than just the 2 lookouts in the crow's nest? There were a couple at the very tip or the bow too? I'm not trying to sound stupid or like I can't read, I just want to make sure I have this clear.

>>There were a couple at the very tip or the bow too? <<

No there weren't...unfortunately. It might have given Titanic a few extra precious seconds to work with if there had been. There was a phone up there to be used for just that reason. As a general rule however, lookouts are only posted in the eyes of the ship during hazardous navigation situations such as fog, ice, or entering/leaving port. (Sometimes not even then) Having stood such a lookout in wintery conditions on a frigate, I can assure you it's one of the toughest watches to have to stand.

"Having stood such a lookout in wintery conditions on a frigate, I can assure you it's one of the toughest watches to have to stand."

How long was your watch in those conditions?

Wayne

>>How long was your watch in those conditions?<<

Same as the lookouts on the Titanic: Two hours! Some things haven't changed in a century, and that's one of them. Even with full cold weather suits, that's about all anyone can stand befor they become so worn down as to be rendered ineffective.

>>I hope no one ever tried to tell you that such duty "Builds character". <<

I don't know of anyone dumb enough to try that with a lookout who lived to tell about it!
evil.gif

Back