Question Female Embalmers for Women and Child in Halifax

Melinda R

I am very interested in finding out more information on Annie F. O'Neil (from New Brunswick) and her sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Walsh (from St. John) and Miss Nellie Remby. Annie and Elizabeth were selected to embalm all the female victims as well as the one child. Nellie Remby, nurse, ran the First Aid station at the Mayflower Curling Rink. I have searched under these names in newspapers of the time and found nothing.

In 1998 Van Beck and Heppell presented a paper on the funeral director's response to the Titanic disaster at a National Funeral Directors Convention in Boston. They referred to the female embalmers as Mary Dodosky Walsh, wife of Arthur Walsh who was the owner and manager of O'Neill Funeral Home in St. John.

The late Alan Ruffman in his Titanic Remembered: The Unsinkable Ship and Halifax book spoke of Annie F. O'Neil being an embalmer and her sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Walsh.

Does anyone have any more information on these three ladies (especially their correct names) and their duties? I do have the Maritime Museum intro film, and if I remember correctly, it mentions Annie O'Neil only.

Thanks!
Melinda

Back