Hello everyone! I was wondering what the shift schedule for a first class bedroom steward might be? I understand they served 3-5 rooms onboard, but were they expected to attend to these rooms constantly? Did one steward cover an assigned section of cabins at day and another take on these duties at night? What time would this hypothetical shift change occur or would the steward just turn in for the night? Additionally, were stewards permitted to take formal breaks like a designated lunch break, or were they expected to take informal breaks whenever they had time? Essentially, I would love to know when these stewards were on and off duty and what their day-to-day schedule might look like. Thank you!

Good day to you sir,

The first class bedroom stewards looked after more staterooms than just three to five staterooms. On a full booked ship they would look after 11 to 24 passengers in total in of about 9 staterooms. Henry Etches looked after the staterooms B-84, B-86, B-88, B-90, B-92, B-94, B-96, B-98 and A-36 (of these only 6 were occupied on the Titanic her maiden voyage by 9 passengers). The bedroom stewards had alternate shifts, including at night. Some of the bedroom stewards were part of the so called "night watchmen" which looked after the passengers after midnight.

Good day to you sir,

The first class bedroom stewards looked after more staterooms than just three to five staterooms. On a full booked ship they would look after 11 to 24 passengers in total in of about 9 staterooms. Henry Etches looked after the staterooms B-84, B-86, B-88, B-90, B-92, B-94, B-96, B-98 and A-36 (of these only 6 were occupied on the Titanic her maiden voyage by 9 passengers). The bedroom stewards had alternate shifts, including at night. Some of the bedroom stewards were part of the so called "night watchmen" which looked after the passengers after midnight.
Interesting! Thank you! Do you by any chance know what time the "night watchmen" would switch again with the other steward in the morning?

Back