First class fork

We went to a Titanic Expedition in Dundee, Scotland and bought a fork which is supposed to be from first class and is stamped with the Cunard Company Limited Steamship, Gladwin Embassy Plate. Has anyone got any suggestions as to how we could find out what ship it's from, how old it is? Also, is anyone else building a model of the Titanic through weekly installments - if so, how are you getting on?

As silver was made to a fairly common design for use on all ships in the line, I would say that unless there are extant and verifiable records as to provenance, that your chances of finding out what ship an item was used on are about zero.

Regarding models, I have the Minicraft kit in my closet. One of these days, I intend to build it, once I can figure out how to protect it from my cats!
wink.gif

It seems that the there were two different types of White Star first class fork. The first is the more commonly seen one with a striped handle and the second has stars on the edge of the handle. Can anyone provide any information on the differences?

My model has been shelved for over a year, now, but I am planning this winter on dusting the decks off and re-starting where I left off.

Placing the model under a large aquarium should render a model 'cat-proof'... but 'should' is the key word...

My minicraft model suffered damage from the "cable-guy"...foremast was snapped, thereby destroying sections of rigging (i.e. marconi attenae) the jack staff was severed.

However I am a Carpenter and Automotive deatailer (henceforth the modeling skills)
I have the technology to rebuild her...or
may decide to turn her into a wreck model
(KUDOS to our beloved Mengot wreck model).

So a word of advice, DO NOT store your finished model in your entertainment center in the proximity of your televison...BEWARE OF THE CABLE GUY.

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Back