Flooding First Class Dining Saloon

Matt

Did the dining saloon flood like in Cameron's film? Or was it more violent? Were the port and starboard entrance doors closed and locked? Were both left open? Or was one set open and the other closed? There is no evidence of either doors on the wreck either due to everything crashing forward/the breakup or decay.

I would imagine both were closed due to the room no longer being in use for general passengers (though I seem to recall somewhere that plates were being set for the next day when the collision occurred). Having the doors open or shut would have had little influence on both the flooding of the room or the demise of the ship, though if they were closed they have eventually imploded under the building pressure of the water from the Reception Room. However, I doubt the doors caused enough of a watertight seal to seriously impede the water.

The doors probably would have slowed the water's progress. Maybe down to, I dunno, 10% or so (Completely random guess). This effect would have impeded the water until the pressure overcame the latches and swung the doors violently open. The doors probably wouldn't have held shut for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

Once the doors broke open, the dinning room would have flooded pretty slowly. The room is the whole width of the ship, 80 something feet, and the two sets of double doors only provide about 12 feet or so of opening. That a 1 to 6.7 ratio, so for every gallon of water pouring in, the dinning room could have handled almost 7. It's possible that the water was wading-deep at the aft end of the dinning room was still empty when the bow broke up. It's also slightly possible that the dinning room began filling up from the aft end as water from C deck above and E deck below backtracked through the kitchen and into the dinning room.

I understand what you mean , Tim and Brad , but I agree less with what you guys said. The doors , yes they were closed , but as others on other threads said that scotland road , just located below , flooded early , which means the water would have entered a galley staircase , up, and flood the first class dining room that way. Another theory is that the water floods the reception room , and then a few inches of water would just break the doors open, and by the time the dome imploded , the doors would have unplugged off.

Back