Flooding of E deck

Chung Rex

The following discussion is important as the scenes confused me for a couple of years.

In Titanic(1997), Jack and Rose met in crewmen area on E-deck near 1st Class stairway when the place was flooded. When Jack was saved by an axe, the flooding of E-deck was seen to be so serious that they went to 3rd Class area instead of returning to D-deck by original route(that is, go to D-deck, the place where Rose found the axe). The forecastle and the well-deck at the bow was washed by the time they escaped from E-deck.

When Jack and rose escaped from Cal's gunfire by running from B-deck to D-deck, D-deck was flooded. Jack and Rose ran aft and the 1st Class dining room was subsequently flooded. Once Jack heard a boy's crying, Jack and Rose moved to E-deck. A strange scene: There were a lot of locked gates on that part of E-deck and the area behind a white, closed wooden door was fully flooded. The wooden door was soon overwhelmed by water pressure so that Jack and Rose was washed to a locked gate.

I am curious that where was the wooden door. Also, if the area was close to the area that Jack and Rose first escaped, it should be flooded well before Jack and Rose returned to E-deck. I have also read the deck-plan, and found that no 3rd Class staterooms were found on E-deck at the middle of the ship, so no locked gate should exist in that part of the ship. Had Cameron made some apparent mistake when depicting the flooding of E-deck at around 2:00-2:05? Am I thinking too much?

As there were no WTDs on E-deck at the ship's middle, is it possible that the flooding was gradual and some parts of 3rd class staterooms near to aft was flooded mildly well before the ship broke apart? However, if that happened, the flooding of E-deck should not be as violent as Cameron depicted.

(Off-topic: Where could be the locked gate located where Cora drowned?)

The easy answer is that it was a movie. It's fiction based on an actual event.

If you look at the E-deck plans you'll note that the "Master at Arms" office was inboard, by the 3rd class stairs. They should have been able to leave the office and seen stairs going "up" about 9 feet in front of them.

The other thing about that scene, which is totally unbelievable is the amount of time they spend in 28 degree water, yet Rose is still able to lift an axe and Jack open a lock, underwater, with a key.

And neither of them gets hypothermic and dies. Then again it was work of fiction. ;)

Scott: You're absolutely right, but then again, movies do that all the time. The one that really calls for suspension of disbelief in my book is Hitchcock's 'North by Northwest,' where a 55-year-old Cary Grant spends about 36 hours doing a long series of heroic deeds that would half-kill a healthy 19-year-old. After running from kidnappers, getting forcibly intoxicated and nearly killed, evading an aerial attack in a cornfield, making whoopee with a blonde spy, driving across Illinois and Iowa in an ancient pickup truck, and knocked cold by a Forest Service ranger, the guy still has enough energy to climb all over the face and top of Mount Rushmore (in loafers - no climbing equipment at all) and ends up holding his sweetheart in a firm grip and pulls her back to safety when she starts to fall off a cliff!

So, Cameron's not the only offender there, LOL.

Survivor Joseph Wheat said the water came up the staircase that led from the post room up to E-deck and he believed the water moved up the 'starboard side' corridor on E-deck and witnessed the water spill down the staircase that led down to the Turkish baths on F-deck. I'm puzzled how the water could travel up the 'starboard side' because according to the deck plans there is a wall blocking the path of that corridor. Are the plans wrong, or did the water spill down this staircase by some other means on the starboard side? I have circled another staircase. Could the water have come up from there? He said the large corridor (Scotland road) on the port side was dry, so the water can't have come up that way.

edeck1.jpg

He closed the two watertight doors outside the Turkish baths, so the water could not have come from forward. This however still leaves the staircase on the starboard side. Could the iceberg have damaged the side and allowed water to rush in and up this staircase (red circle) and then spilt over and down the one beside?

fdeck1.jpg

It was not a wall, it was a kind of swinging door the starboard corridor had "doors" which run all the way on the starboard side of E Deck at the 1st class area.
The door is missing as they have the text placed there (Lady Clerk & Rest Cashier).

Cheers. Would that also mean the water would poor down the staircase marked with the red circle and flood into that area first - assuming the ship still had a list to starboard? Currently trying to estimate which staircase filled first, or if they flooded simultaneously?

The ash place, if I recall correctly, was sealed off dust tight so that ash would not populate the passenger areas. Therefore even when this staircase flooded water should not have inundated the passenger areas. Of course if I remember correctly, I haven't my references with me.

Back