Foot Bridge

Hello Everyone,
My first language is not English but French, and I need you to tell me, if you please, what is the definition of Foot-Bridge of which Lightoller was talking about in his evidence question 13753 when he says "I, first of all, looked forward to the bridge and everything seemed quiet there. I could see the first Officer standing on the footbridge keeping the look out. I then walked across to the side, and I saw the ship had slowed down, that is to say, was proceeding slowly through the water".

I searched in glossaries, in Beveridge's book "Ship Magnificent", on web sites, but i was unable to find what is it. I thought it was the Bridge wings, but I am not sure if it is so.
Thanks.

I think you are right. I recall someone posting a picture about what looked like a scaffolding platform that we sometimes see construction workers using even these days. I think it helped vertically challenged people to get a better view.

Here is what he was talking about
1620766614673.png

Hello Everyone,
My first language is not English but French, and I need you to tell me, if you please, what is the definition of Foot-Bridge of which Lightoller was talking about in his evidence question 13753 when he says "I, first of all, looked forward to the bridge and everything seemed quiet there. I could see the first Officer standing on the footbridge keeping the look out. I then walked across to the side, and I saw the ship had slowed down, that is to say, was proceeding slowly through the water".

I searched in glossaries, in Beveridge's book "Ship Magnificent", on web sites, but i was unable to find what is it. I thought it was the Bridge wings, but I am not sure if it is so.
Thanks.
Hi everyone from Buenos Aires! Interesting question... After taking a look to my own ship´s model, plans and inquiry, and thinking as a Ship´s Captain (i am) must say the guess is right: Lightoller left his cabin on the port side, walked forward towards the port bridge wing, took a look at the bridge, then saw Murdock in the wing (on a foot step or platform) and approched the port side wing´s limits (just to take a look straight to the water underneath - something we seamen do every time when in need to check the slowing down of the ship, before dropping anchor, for example).
(Must say I found no mention of this "footbridge" in my maritime dictionaries)
Well, hope this helps. Keep safe and healthy!

Back