For the fans of the WW2 BB's

I read that the main battery of the USS Missouri consisted of 16-inch guns that had an effective range of 30 miles :eek:. For a ship, that distance would be below the horizon; so, when those Iowa-class battleships went into action in WW2, did they use some sort of spotter aircraft to zero on their targets?

I read that the main battery of the USS Missouri consisted of 16-inch guns that had an effective range of 30 miles :eek:. For a ship, that distance would be below the horizon; so, when those Iowa-class battleships went into action in WW2, did they use some sort of spotter aircraft to zero on their targets?
I'm not sure how they did in WW2. During desert storm they were using drones with video to watch where they hit. According to a BB website the range was 23 miles for the 16 inches.Too bad my dad is no longer here. I could ask him. He was on the USS Wisconsin BB 64. But he told me he didn't really see much action on her as the war was almost over when he reported aboard her. He was pretty jazzed up though to see her brought back for Desert Storm. I'll look it up later when I hook my computer back up. I hate trying to surf the net on these damn smartphones. Cheers.

Those 16-inch 50 cal guns actually have a practical limit on range of about 25,000 yards, about 12.5 nautical miles, for targeting. Max range is quite misleading. Yes, the shells could go much further, but it would be difficult to get much accuracy, and the dispersion of shot becomes problematic. If I recall, the engagement distances for maximum effectiveness were from 15,000 to 25,000 yards.

Last edited:
Those 16-inch 50 cal guns actually have a practical limit on range of about 25,000 yards, about 12.5 nautical miles, for targeting. Max range is quite misleading. Yes, the shells could go much further, but it would be difficult to get much accuracy, and the dispersion of shot becomes problematic. If I recall, the engagement distances for maximum effectiveness were from 15,000 to 25,000 yards.
That sounds reasonable to me and more practible. I wasn't a gunnersmate so I can't say much about it. I've always been amazed at how accurate naval gunfire could be. It's not like your shooting from a nice stable bench rest.

Yes, the shells could go much further, but it would be difficult to get much accuracy, and the dispersion of shot becomes problematic. If I recall, the engagement distances for maximum effectiveness were from 15,000 to 25,000 yards.
Thanks Sam. I am guessing that target accuracy of those huge naval guns were an issue while engaged in sea battles per se, meaning, ship against ship. I remember reading years ago about the huge guns of some of those Japanese "super-battleships" of WW2; apparently, the thinking among the Imperial Japanese High Command was that those ship guns could be used to blitz land targets....presumably Pacific islands under Allied control....to create general destruction and mayhem. Apparently, even after all 4 carriers sent out to battle were sunk by the Americans during the Battle of Midway, some die-hard Japanese officers wanted to proceed with the "main body" of the armada, which consisted of Admiral Yamamoto's flagship the Yamato, to continue and shell Midway indiscriminately before invading it!

Of course, that plan was vetoed by the slightly more level-headed Yamamoto.

The super battleships of the IJN were designed primarily to beat an opponent's battleship at long range in one-on-one engagements. They were fitted with 9 18.1-in 40-cal. guns, the largest, and heaviest, fitted on any battleship at the time. As you know, the advances in aviation obsoleted the rules of engagement between naval vessels. The US navy had super Iowa battleships in the design stages that were to mount 12 16-in 45-cal guns. That was the Montana class that were never built.

Back