For those who use rare Titanic books as coasters for their drinks

I am a bit puzzled by the people who use rare Titanic books as a place upon which to place their coffee. A freind recently bought a Gracie book with a circular cup stain; I aquired a Beesley book with such a stain as well. What goes through the mind of these people who use rare books as cup coasters? It makes my soul shiver..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

I'm with you, Tarn. there is a special place in ,er, Heck for people who use books as coasters! (right next to those who turn the page corners down).

part of the equation is that there are two kinds of book people, readers and collectors. readers are more interested in the material; a modern paperback reprint is just fine with them. collectors want the paperback to read in bed, and the original printing to have on the shelf.

now, I am not knocking either group. but they have very different views on what books are for.

I'm a afraid I'm a scribble-in-the-marg ins type AND a turn-the-page-corner -down kind of a guy too. I have not, however, left a glass or cup on a book - that I can think of. To boot, I'm a terrible picture cutter-outer! (though not generally out of really old books in my collection). I know, I MUST mend my ways.

I'm a reader, not a collector. To me, books are mainly a useful tool, among other things. For nonfiction books, which I consider research tools, I even use a yellow highlighter marker to help me remember the important points for further reference.

Okay...count me among the readers myself. Still, if I had a rare book, I don't think I'd be using it to park my coffee cup. That copy I have of Geoffrey Marcus "Maiden Voyage" will be treated with the greatest of respect.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Yes...I'm a reader too...but...

I have a very early edition of Charles Lindbergh's "We", which I bought (in quite good condition!) at a garage sale for 50 cents (Canadian!)!
I treat it like a rediscovered long-lost-son!

John M.

I guess im a collector- I must have first editions, hardcover with immaculate condition dust jackets....

But I'll use 2nd editions or paperback editions as a cutting block upon which to to slice the thanksgiving Turkey, but never on my first editions..

regards

tarn Stephanos

Oh, if I have a first edition in good condition, I will do my utmost to keep it that way. That is why I prefer non-rare editions to use as my working copies.

I'd never use 'em as a coaster (on the other hand, they make sensational placemats if I'm eating hot food at the computer).

I tend to agree with Tracy - while I'm overly fond of books, I've always been the despair of the bibliophiles in the family for treating them with what seems like contempt. You won't find me chasing rare volumes as I view them more as functional tools - sources of data. They sit piled on one side of the bed until they slide off, they form drifts on the floor by the computer, they get trodden on and toppled over and generally lived with as sort of rough and tumble family members. I like to be able to live with them.

That said, I have a few sacred cows on my bookshelves as well - particularly some lovely 19th Century volumes and some Portfolio Edition books The green moire silk bound Bronte volumes are to be handled with all reverence on the rare occasions they're taken out of the slip cover.

Oh Dear! I am one of those naughty people who does put hot drinks on my books. I hasten to say not on all the rare editions I posses as I tend to leave the hot cup on the glossy covers.

Question:- Does that make me a naught boy then?

Andrew W.

Good lord, Inger; you're library sounds like mine!I've got books on my desk, over my desk, on shelves, on the floor, in my chair, and even on my bed....when the latter isn't being used by myself and/or my cats!
wink.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Well, now I won't feel bad about any of you visiting my home as I have books and papers piled from the living room to my bedroom with Titanic memorabilia everywhere in between on the walls and shelves, where ever an empty space can be found. I feel so comforted by your messy confessions!

Kyrila

My bed must have at least ten books and several magazines, notebooks, journal, etc on it even as I type. Books stacked everyhwere, even on the back of the toilet tank. Plus a cat or two.

Only ten, Tracy? Try looking under mine then in my closet the next time we get together! Uhhhhh...if you can get past the obstacle course on the deck!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Back