Fr. Browne photos of Olympic

Mark VII

A book by a second cousin of Francis Browne contains previously unpublished - often stunning - photographs by the famous Irish photographer. There are also pictures of ships and the author claims that some of them are the Titanic. Can you tell?
8C75A245-D0C7-4DEA-A4A3-32945559893B.jpeg

A book by a second cousin of Francis Browne contains previously unpublished - often stunning - photographs by the famous Irish photographer. There are also pictures of ships and the author claims that some of them are the Titanic. Can you tell?View attachment 111258
It's the Olympic unfortunately. You can see that because of the D-deck gangway doors and the windows on B-deck being larger. The D-deck gangway doors on the Olympic had one big porthole in the middle, while the Titanic had two windows.

It's the Olympic unfortunately. You can see that because of the D-deck gangway doors and the windows on B-deck being larger. The D-deck gangway doors on the Olympic had one big porthole in the middle, while the Titanic had two windows.
Wow! Thanks for the quick and explanatory answer. Another photo bites the dust ;-)

What about this one from the same book?

68A03923-0154-446F-93D8-BCECCA67CC6C.jpeg

Great images. how would someone get a copy of the book?
The book is a gem if you like Frank Browne’s life and lens, written from a family perspective. It contains well printed photographs of the late priest, who would become Ireland most famous photographer.

However, the part with ships is rather short and all photographs with the Titanic turn out to be the Olympic… Thanks Thomas ;-)

Still happy with the book though, because of my interest in Browne.

Can anyone tell me the date of this Fr. Browne photo of Olympic’s bridge (exact or approximate)?

Attachments

• IMG_4368.jpeg
    IMG_4368.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 67
Can anyone tell me the date of this Fr. Browne photo of Olympic’s bridge (exact or approximate)?
Pre-1912-1913 refit based on the appearance of the Olympic in the rest of the photographs (B-deck still has the windows as it was when she entered service and a picture shows the Marconi room in its old location and the reading and writing room still has its alcove.

Pre-1912-1913 refit based on the appearance of the Olympic in the rest of the photographs (B-deck still has the windows as it was when she entered service and a picture shows the Marconi room in its old location and the reading and writing room still has its alcove.
If Browne only made this one visit to Olympic then the photos in this thread indicate that it was post-refit up to WWI due to the lifeboat configuration.

The pictures that were taken during the same voyage that are listed indicated it was pre 1912-1913 refit however
If the photos in this thread and the photos you linked to were all taken by Fr. Brown, (I have no reason to doubt that is the case) then he apparently made at least two trips to Olympic. The photo group of his photos for Olympic on the link you provided are all pre-refit. The photos in this thread are all post-refit. The photo of the bridge area is grouped with the photos that all appear to be pre-refit. Not only are the photos in the link pre-refit, they appear to be pre-Titanic disaster. Thanks for the link Thomas!

Can someone clarify when and where this particular picture was taken by Father Browne?

FB-2.jpg

I have seen this picture in several works including On A Sea Of Glass, stating that it was taken on board the Titanic by Father Browne on the ship's A-deck as it was crossing Southampton waters. The crew member in the foreground was thought to be QM Olliver, the young man looking over the railing identified as passenger Jack Odell (who disembarked in Queenstown with Fr Browne) and one of the 3 men in the background as Major Archie Butt. But in Father Browne's Titanic Album edited by O'Donnell, there is uncertainty if this was taken on board the Olympic or Titanic. I am not sure if Odell travelled on the Olympic before he was on the Titanic and in any case, the young man in the picture looks rather older than 11 years, Jack's age at the time he was on the Titanic.

If it was the Titanic while traversing waters around Southampton and one of the men in the background indeed Butt, it proves that as per official reports he did get on board in Southampton while Millett joined him in Cherbourg later that same day. A member queried this in another thread recently.

Back