Goliath Awaits

Hi,

I'm new to the board so I apologize if this has been asked before, but here goes...

I remember seeing a TV (mini?)series in the early 80s where a salvage crew dives to the wreck of the Titanic (or a ship very much like it) to find the ship still largely intact with hundreds of survivors inside it after 70 or so years in the bottom of the ocean.

At the time I couldn’t have been more than 10, but I remember being riveted by the show — I guess you could say that’s where my interest in the Titanic begun. Unfortunately I’m unable find it on the IMDB or anywhere else on the Internet. Could somebody perhaps help me out with this?

The show was on in Finland in the very early 80s, so it was probably on in the US sometime in the late 70s — early 80s. Any ideas?

I'd say Bob is right...I remember that one too, Ismo. It made quite an impression on my young imagination - particularly an early scene when a diver is looking at a porthole, only to see the face of a young woman or girl look out.

Every time I dive a wreck with intact portholes I half expect a face to look out!

Hi Ismo.

Bob is correct: the movie is "Goliath Awaits". The ship, though, was a fictional liner torpedoed in 1939. Interestingly, the ship's course was the same as the Queen Mary's, on September 1, 1939.

The shipboard scenes were filmed on the Queen Mary.

I do have a video of the film, so you might be able to find it on Amazon.com or the Barnes' and Noble's websites.

"Time Tunnel" was the premiere episode. James Darrin dresses for 1912, sets the dials, and there he is. I still remember STILL this line, spoken to Capt. Smith, "This ship is dead! And so is everybody on it unless you give immediate orders to lower the lifeboats!" Pretty good memory for forty years on, eh?

I remember the episode was called "Rendezvous With Yesterday". I believe that when they showed Titanic it was some of the scenes from the 1953 movie "Titanic" that were used. It intrigued me as a kid.

-Greg

The storyline is that a Senator came to the desert to see where all the government's money has gone. Tony Newman decides to try the time tunnel on himself and goes back to the Titanic. Doug, the second scientist, goes back to the Titanic dressed in period clothes and armed with a newspaper with the sinking of the Titanic on the front page. Captain Smith (played by Michael Rennie who was the narrator of the 1953 movie Titanic at the end) doesn't believe Tony and Doug until the ship hits the iceberg (stock footage from the 1953 Titanic) and then asks the two men if he will die that night. They tell him yes, and they are thrown from the ship during a boiler explosion (remember, Fox made Time Tunnel as well as 1953 Titanic!) So they are frozen in time before striking the freezing water and moved by the Time Tunnel to 1960s Cape Canaveral inside a rocket! The end of the series is that they go back to the decks of the Titanic and start the whole thing over again! Robert H. Gibbons

That jogs my memory.............somewhere in this morass of VHS tapes, I have a copy of Goliath Awaits. I believe Mark Harmon played a principal role in it. Now, I've got to locate it!

Hi All,

I think Frank Gorshin and Christopher Lee were in Goliath as well. Lee was Captain I think, or became Captain. It was really neat to see everyone still in 1939 clothes, how they were raising food and maintaining oxygen...and population control. I also recall the person looking out from the porthole - spooky! And the record "Happy Days are Here Again" playing.

Best,
Eric Longo

Hello all.

When I was very small, I saw a movie about a ship that sank. I think it was torpedoed, the ship had 3 funnels, sank stern first and was named "Goliat". There was also something about people living in an airbubble in the wreck for 40 years or so. This is all "i think" info, its been maybe 25 years but I never forget it. It lead me on to the world of "Titanic".... Anyways, does anyone know what movie this could have been?

Per E

That would be 'Goliath Awaits'. It's covered in a number of threads here, like this one:

[Moderator's Notes: 1. This post and the one above it, originally posted as a separate thread in another topic, have been moved to the one Bob is referring to. 2. The link that Bob refers to is the one you are reading now; both have been merged and are now here. JDT]

Back