Does anybody know of a surviving photo of the Lusitania's Grand Staircase? I have the Lusitania/Mauretania reprint of the Shipbuilder, but it deals mainly with Mauretania, and doesn't even have a very good description of her staircase. If anybody has an idea of what the Staircase would have looked like, a description would be wonderful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi there,

There is a photo of the Lusitania's staircase and lift in William H. Miller's "The First Great Ocean Liners in Photographs". It's pretty much the standard view looking toward the lift gates in the top deck entrance with the dome overhead, but it is a very lovely shot.

I'm sure this isn't the only resource with photo's of the GSC but I think it is the only one I have in my collection at the moment. If I find anything else I'll have a look.

I hope this helps.

~Kevin Spaans

Eric,

Thanks a lot of posting those photos, they really illustrate the delicate beauty of the Lusitania's interiors. I own quite a few books about the Lusitania and often see the same photos used time and time again; do you know of any book that has more obscure photos of the ship. I'm sure that they must exist, considering that the ship was in service for about eight years before her destruction.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

Hi, Matt:

The only book I know that has a large selection of photo different from the ones regularly seen is the book I wrote about ten years ago with Ken Marschall and Bill Sauder. It runs about 50 pages and is soft cover. There are 110 illustrations, and 85 of them had not been seen since 1915. The book focuses on the ship and her interiors rather than the people on aboard, the politics, or the sinking. If you're interested in a copy, please contact me off the board.

Eric Sauder

I'll second that!!

It is a first class research doc in its own right.
The only sinking portrayals in it are the most accurate available, Ken's paintings not withstanding. The interior shots are awesome as is the text

Martin

Hello,

I am curious as to how the Grand Staircase looked on the Lusitania. If I recall it had one lift and I do not remember a dome. Could you please post pictures of it, providing I cannot see the ones previously posted by Eric. Thank You.

Regards,
James

Thank You Very much. I didn't notice a dome so I suppose I was correct in the Lusitania's lacking of one over her staircase. I recall seeing a picture of it's staircase quite a while ago so I believe that is indeed Lusitania.

Lusitania Staircase and lifts

98430.jpg

James,

There is a dome over the lift/staircase area. Unfortunately the scans I did do not show it properly. - The specked area over the top of the lifts. - You can see it reflected in what Brian has posted.

Back