Great and Memorable Quotes

Dan Kappes

Even though this film would be considered too melodramatic and a soap opera today, it has some really great quotes that can easily be remembered. I think I could recite the whole film by heart.

Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb are brilliant together as Richard and Julia Sturges and they have some really great memorable quotes in their many bitter arguments throughout the film.

My two favorites are:

Richard: I should've anticipated this. Twenty years ago I made the unpardonable mistake of thinking I could civilize a girl who bought her hats out of a Sears Roebuck catalog. I was wrong. And don't think I haven't had my share of regrets.
Julia: One thing Richard, you've always been honest.

Julia: Oh Richard, where did we miss out on each other? I beg your pardon, Sir. I put you down as a useless man, someone to lead a cotillion.
Richard: After all, it was my major talent.
Julia: I'm sorry, sorry about everything.
Richard: We have no time to catalog our regrets. All we can do is pretend 20 years didn't happen. It's June again. You were walking under some Elm trees in a white muslin dress, the loveliest creature I ever laid eyes on. That summer, when I asked you to marry me, I pledged my eternal devotion. I would take it as a very great favor Julia, if you would accept a restatement of that pledge.

Note that these two quotes take place at two pivotal points in the film, at the beginning and near the end, and they both have the word regrets in them. The former is an argument when they meet each other on board the Titanic in the dining room and the latter takes place when Richard puts Julia into a lifeboat.

Maybe the great dialogue helped it get the Best Screenplay Oscar.

People certainly don't talk like that anymore, in movies and in real life.

What are your favorite quotes from the film?

Last edited:
One of mine is when Annette meets Gif for the first time and says , very snitty, "shouldn't you be in school somewhere?". I want to say that everytime I see these bratty misbehaved kids and teenagers out and about!

Robert Wagner's facial expression after that is priceless! :p And Julia was right that Annette was turning into an "arrogant little prig" by hanging around European high society too long.

Last edited:
The line that Richard said to Julia about buying her hats from Sears-Roebuck is classic!

And the scene where Julia and Richard argue in the cabin before dinner, when she tells him that Norman is not his son…loved it!

Back