Hans Peter Jensen

I should make mention that the above link will take you to a sort of "mock trail" conducted by a contemporary law firm- the info and documentation is, however, archival or researched from historical documents.

I think it's great! The street law class at my school did that trial last semester, and my friend got to play Lightoller. That's my nickname for him now. :) Also the teacher was going to use my AP English class as the jury, then remembered that I was in the class, and decided not to--I made a fool of him in U.S. History class last year when he said the Titanic was the sister ship of the Lusitania. He said my being on the jury would be a case of the jury knowing more than the defense and prosecution combined. :) I was oddly flattered--apparently he tells the story of my one-upping him to all his classes now.

-Allison L.

Shelley,

Thanks for the site. I had overlooked this before because I thought it was all fictional. But much of the information is true. Carla's got a "Nielsen" in her name, and my relatives were originally from that part of Denmark - - could I be related to a Titanic passenger???? Wow!! Seriously, I'm going to be add Carla's name to the PTSD conversation because it seems that with her never traveling again, and being buried in the nightdress and all, she about fits the bill for a mild case of PTSD. Thanks again.

Hi! I am a student, and currently we are working on a project on the Titanic. For backround information, we read A Night to Remember. Now, we are doing a mock court session on the Titanic. Carla Jensen, a third class passenger, is suing the White Star Line for neglagence because the ship sank and her husband, Hans Peter Jensen died. I need information on Mr. Jensen. Because he was a third class passenger, it has been difficult to find anything on him. I found no cabin number for him(if anyone knows this, it would be very usefull!) Also, I need witnesses who saw him on the Titanic and possibly saw him acting recklessly. I am on the team defending the White Star Line. Our job is to prove that the WSL and its crew did everything that they could to save people. Things such as the fact that the law said that the Titanic only needed 16 lifeboats and that the crew told passengers to put lifejackets on immediately are the kind of facts that will hold our case together--if anyone can think of any more of these, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!~Rebecca

Rebecca,

You can read about Hans and Carla in the 'Passenger Lists & Biographies' section of this site - look for the set of links near the top of the home page and click on 3rd Class, then look for both names on the list.

Take note that Hans was NOT locked below decks - he is known to have taken Carla all the way to the lifeboats. After that, of course, he was a victim of the policy of 'women and children only'. Good luck!

Rebecca,

On second thoughts, your best defence against a claim for compensation would be the fact that Carla was not yet married to Hans! For the purpose of your project, you should perhaps consider that they WERE married.

Wow! It's funny how you can tend to overlook even the most obvious facts. Since they weren't married, they had no legal relationship. Hans's parents or his closest living relative would be the one to get the money, which would at least be grounds for a mistrial. Also, they weren't even staying in the same cabin on the Titanic, which might possibly prove that they weren't as close as they've been made out to be. Thanks a lot!

Hans and Carla WERE close, and intended to marry soon after their arrival in the US. But remember this was 1912, so there was no question of them sharing a cabin on the way over. On the Titanic the single men were normally quartered at the front end of the ship and the single women at the rear, to discourage just that kind of wickedness!

As regards his relatives making a claim, you can read in his biography what happened when his mother tried that.

Back