Henry Dennis Witt

Henry Witt's body was not recovered and the Register of Deaths at Sea at The National Archives, Kew (BT 334/52) records his cause of death as "supposed drowned".He is commemorated on the WITT family plot at Southampton Old Cemetery - a photo of which can be found online

1891 Census 27 Coleman Street, Southampton. Ellen Jane Witt, Wife, Marr 41(husband George not listed), with children John Alex Witt 20 Mariner Seas, Harry Witt(lost laterTitanic) 17 Errand Boy, Daisy Martha G(Gertrude) Witt 9 Scholar, and Boarders Charles Thomas Hallett 27 Mariner Seas, William Arthur Bromfield 17 Ship boy Port.Note: Memorial at grave C175 076 Southampton cemetery has the following inscription“In memory of Henry Dennis Witt, Son of G(George) and E(Ellen) Witt, Fireman on the Titanic, Lost at sea April 14/15 1912, Age 37.”At the same grave are Harry’s sister Nellie Elizabeth Mary Witt 1876-1929 and her husband James Albert White 1875 to 1928. Also there is an inscription for Harry’s mother Ellen Witt who died 31 January 1911 aged 62Henry(Harry) Dennis Witt, who was lost at sea on the Titanic in 1912, was a relative, being the brother of my great grandmother Nellie Elizabeth Mary Witt. Later in 1916, Nellie’s husband James Albert White survived the sinking of the Britannic off Kea in Greece but their son Percy was lost on the Britannic, also a ship of the White Star Line. The boarder Charles Thomas Hallett listed in the 1891 census was my grandfather, who married Daisy White(1893-1963), niece of Harry Witt.Comment added 2010 by Gillian Margaret Everett nee Hallett

Hello Gillian, one of my daughter-in-laws is descended from Harry Witt's other sister Daisy Gertrude through her marriage to William Robert ADAMS on 27th July 1902.If you are interested in further details I can be contacted at tracy.dunne *at* ntlworld dot com

The Charles Hallett (1865-1920) referred to in the 1901 census at 21 Coleman Street with Harry Witt's mother Ellen, was my paternal grandfather. After Harry (lost Titanic) Witt's mother Helen/Ellen died 1911, Charles Hallett was found in the 1911 census at 28 College Street with Ellen's daughter Nellie and her husband James Albert White. He later married their daughter, my grandmother Daisy White 1893-1963, niece of Harry (lost Titanic) Witt.

Back