Henry Wittman

Good morning. On a recent trip to Southampton I was able to visit the Titanic Museum and find information on a possible relative that was a crew member. He is buried in Nova Scotia and I have found a photo of the grave site thanks to this site.

I know there are 2 obituaries but have been unable to track those down via internet. Anyone have suggestions?

Henry Wittman, Body #315, Class: Victualling, Bedroom Steward 1st class.
Obits: Southern Daily Echo 25/4/1912
and Hampshire Independent 27/4/1912

Trying to figure out how to retrieve copies of obituaries posted in Southern Daily Echo (25/4/1912) and Hampshire Independent (27/4/1912) on Henry Wittman, (body #315), a 1st class bedroom steward. anyone have suggestions?

Not exactly Obits but The following was in the Death Announcement and Memorium pages:

(Death Notice Southern Daily Echo 25th April 1912 and Hampshire Independent 27th April May 1912).
Wittman, Henry
Dearly beloved Husband of Amy Wittman, of 12 Richville Road, Shirley.

Thats all
Cheers Brian

Unfortunately, not everything is on the Internet. Some things you just have to dig up the hard way.

If you want copies of the obituaries, you have at least two options that I'm aware of. One would be to call the newspapers themselves if their still in business and ask for a copy. Another would be to see if copies are available by way of the library, either locally or through the interlibrary system.

Henry was a First Class Bedroom Steward. He lived at 12 Richville Road, Shirley, Southampton,not Richmond Road.The PRO Record gives the incorrect address. His correct address is shown in the 1911 UK Census. His body was picked up by the Minia, not the Montmagny.

Ronald married Gladys and they had one daughter Jacqueline June. Ronald died in Eastleigh, not Winchester.

Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 16.54.07.png

Hampshire Independent (27/4/1912)

Back