Peter Kyhl

I have just written with an Estonian and he told me only one Estonian was onboard Titanic. He told me the name Hermann Rägastik and he should be a survivor and should have been 2nd engineering assistant which must be completely wrong. Here is a link to the Estonian wikipedia page Hermann Rägastik – Vikipeedia

Translated:

Hermann Rägastik (also Herman Regastik or Reggastik; born June 20, 1886 and died in 1970 ) was an electrical technician from Keila , the only known Estonian who escaped the Titanic . [1] [2] [3] [4]

The maze from Keila studied electrical engineering at the Universities of Mittweida and Chemnitz in Germany . As an electrical engineer (radio), he also became a 2nd engineering assistant at Titanic. When the ship sank on April 15, 1912 , the man, after a long splash in the ocean, got on board a British steamer and reached England. [3]

There is little information about his life. It is reported that after escaping from the Titanic , he began working as a mechanical officer on a cargo ship, which also sank, but from which everyone escaped. He was also mobilized during the First World War , where he was sent to the Belgian front and was seriously wounded there. He was then sent to Fiji to improve his health , where he remained for the rest of his life. However, it has also been claimed that he lived in New Zealand later in life . [3]

It is believed that another Estonian, the so-called Jacob Cook , may have been on the Titanic , but died. [3]

I guess he is a fraud but have any of you seen anything about him?

As an electrical engineer (radio), he also became a 2nd engineering assistant at Titanic. When the ship sank on April 15, 1912 , the man, after a long splash in the ocean, got on board a British steamer and reached England. [3]

I guess he is a fraud but have any of you seen anything about him?

A "fraud" yes it is. There were the 2nd assistant engineer aboard Titanic all died.
The details of his survival make no sense. Carpathia was the only ship taking survivors aboard (all taken off from lifeboats) and brought them to New York.

However every country seems to have such a "famous" Titanic survivor.

It is believed that another Estonian, the so-called Jacob Cook , may have been on the Titanic , but died. [3]

Yes there was a 3rd class passenger with that name who did not survived.

Yes he must be a fraud in every way. I thought he could be under a different name though. I know he could not be one of the engineer's as they all died but maybe a fireman.

Jacob Cook could be Estonian I guess.

We actually only have one survivor here in Denmark but she was onboard ;)

Thanks for answering.

Yes he must be a fraud in every way. I thought he could be under a different name though. I know he could not be one of the engineer's as they all died but maybe a fireman.

I am afraid he was never aboard.
Estonia was back than Russia. You can have a look here from people who came from "Russia" All of them were passengers.

There were passenger and crew members from Germany aboard too but also several imposters who were never aboard. One of the most famous one is Dittmar-Pittman who later became officer Petersen in the 1943 Titanic movie. However there were of course more. One less known is Hesse who claimed to had been the German electrician aboard.

Everything is wrong with the story. I wonder why no one in Estonia has been checking up on him.

"
"Estonian sailor escaped with life from the Titanic" EE (no. 10/98)

In the 1980s, the Swedish newspaper Tagen Schbladet published an article in which Herman Regastik's sister Elfriede Loosberg gave answers about the rescue of the Estonian sailor Herman Regastik and the future life of the Titanic.

Herman Regastik, an English citizen, graduated in Germany as a marine engineer and Titanic hired him as a second engineer. He survived when he found an empty lifebuoy at sea and used it until a German ship caught it.

After settling fully in England, Herman Regastik became the engine officer for the Isle cargo ship in Iona, which also died on its first voyage somewhere near New York, but from which everyone on board fled.

When he returned to England, he was mobilized during World War I and sent to the Belgian front. Severely wounded by his generation, he was soon returned to England and sent to the English-speaking island of Fiji near Australia.

At the end of the war, he stayed there and lived there like an old boy for the rest of his life.

In 1982, the sisters of Herman Regastik were Elfriede Loosberg, captain of the sea, captain of Loosberg, and Alice Tamm, dr. Tamme in the USA.

Lill Loo

According to other figures: in the coming World War I, Herman Regastik fought in British forces and was wounded in Belgium. To improve his health, a young soldier was sent to the other end of the world - to New Zealand, where Regastik remained after the war. The man, who had lived in New Zealand for the rest of his life, had been relatively lonely and did not want to talk about his survival on the Titanic. Thus, much of Regastik's history has been written and told by his relatives who lived in America and Canada after leaving Estonia in 1944. Herman Regastik died in 1970 at the age of 84.

Frodm this page: Hermann Regastik

Back