Hospital

I'm aware of only one, though I may be wrong. There was a few cabins for the doctors and surgeons and a couple of rooms for the sick. I even think there was an operating room? Overall, I believe there was only one.
All Ahead Full!

Yes it was a state of the art thing all the way. An operating room was included. I think they had ones for each class though, or at least one main imfirmary with 2nd and 3rd class additions.

There was only one hospital (on D deck) for passengers, but it did have a separate 'isolation' area for 3rd class patients. This was necessary because US immigration regulations required that these passengers should at no time come into contact with those travelling 1st or 2nd Class. The hospital had a total of 18 beds available, including 6 in the 'isolation' area. There was also a 4-bed sick bay for the crew, located in the forecastle on C deck.

Each of the hospitals had treatment rooms for 'out-patients', and there were a couple more of these - one on C deck for the Cabin Classes and another near the main 3rd Class stairway on D deck. There was no operating theatre as such, but the physicians were equipped to cope with most emergencies.

"In addition to the treatment room on C Deck, there was another adjacent to the main 3rd Class stairway on D deck, and also the crew surgery adjacent to the 4-bed sick bay on C Deck (near the foremast). For passengers there was a small but well-equipped hospital on the starboard side of D Deck, accessible from above by the stairs mentioned by Leigh. This had 12 beds, and a further 6 located in an isolation area for infectious cases (or possibly for 3rd Class patients). The hospital attendant was steward William Dunford. One of the stewardesses, Evelyn Marsden, was a qualified nurse and her services might have been called upon also. Katherine Wallis, the 'matron' in 3rd Class, was not medically qualified but was expected to keep the doctors informed of any signs of illness in the 'steerage' areas of the ship."
These are actually your words Bob! I dug it up in a previous article from February 1, 2004 for you Colin. Hope this helps!

If Kilford received any diagnosis or treatment on board before leaving the ship it would have been in the crew surgery which was in the forecastle on C Deck.

I must correct an error which I posted in this thread several years ago. I stated that the main hospital on D Deck was for all passengers and the 'isolation' ward within it was for 3rd Class. In fact the whole of the Hospital was for 3rd Class only, as required by the Shipping Regulations. There was no legal requirement to provide hospital accommodation for 1st and 2nd Class, but in the event of sickness they would in any case have expected to be treated and looked after in their own cabins. Much the same applied on land - hospitals were for the sick poor, while wealthy patients were treated and nursed at home.

How well equipped was the hospital on the Titanic in terms of staff and equipment? If, for example, Jonathan Shepherd had broken his leg with the ship sailing normally, would the ship's doctors have the facilities and help to at least immobilise the fracture and keep him reasonably comfortable till they reached New York?

Back