How did Lusitania get her name

Cunard Line had a habit of naming ships after Roman provinces. Lusitania was a province in western Spain/Portugal.

Along with that, Mauretania was in present-day Morocco/Mauritania, Aquitania in southern France, and so on.

Hope this helps.

Adam

With all of the possibilities for Cunard ia endings- odd there was never a Victoria although rumor has it Queen Mary was supposed to have been so christened, or for that matter Hispania- Lusitania being a province there. There were actually two provinces of Mauretania in Africa at some point around Jubal II and Ptolemy- and come to think of it - 2 Mauretanias too- the four-stacker being the BEST of course! :)

Shelley

If you go onto the cunard company website you will see that they are currently building a Queen Victoria, this will be the first ship originally built for cunard to be to have its name end w/ "IA" in about 50 years, as the Caronia was orginally owned by a Norwegion line, i cant remember the exact name, maybe someone else can.

A map of the Roman Empire would be informative in this regard.

An exception to the Cunard naming practice, for some reason unknown to me as I write, was Berengaria (ex-Imperator) named after Berengaria of Navarre, queen consort of Richard I of England.

Noel

Back