How do the generators work?

Ok, I know this is how the engines worked:

-Firemen shoveled coal into the boilers
-Steam was generated because water inside the boiler and heat from the fire mixed, turning into steam.
-This steam powered the 2 reciprocating engines, turning the two side propellers.
-Leftover steam powered the turbine, which turned the middle propeller.
-All the other leftover steam was sent to a condenser, which turned the steam back into water.
-The condensed water was sent back to the boilers.

In what stage did the steam go to the 4 generators and power them?

There were steam lines to the 4 main generator sets, separate lines for the 2 emergency sets, and other lines to supply steam for other auxiliaries.

The generators ran independently of the main/turbine engine.

So when the turbine was powered the generators were powered?

Not quite. The generators had their own steam lines directly from the boilers. The generators could run whether or not the engines were in motion. Otherwise the lights would have gone out once they stopped for the night after hitting the iceberg. A terrifying thought, right?

*edit* I should add - Titanic's generators were driven by small, 3 cylinder reciprocating steam engines...basically miniature versions of the main engines. read more here https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-prime-mover~part-4.html

Im still a bit confused, on the blueprints on ET I don't see the "mini reciprocating engines"

So they worked like this? Firemen shoveled coal, which sent steam to the mini engine. That engine powered all 4 generators? Still a tad confusing.

Im still a bit confused, on the blueprints on ET I don't see the "mini reciprocating engines"

So they worked like this? Firemen shoveled coal, which sent steam to the mini engine. That engine powered all 4 generators? Still a tad confusing.

Sort of. Each generator had it's own engine. They took steam from either boiler room #1 or a couple boilers in one of the main boiler rooms.

It was complicated Nerd. They needed to be able to keep the generators running even if the ship was docked or some boilers were down for maintenance. There were lots of pipes and valves to direct the steam from the various boilers to where it was needed. Steam was power, literally.

The "mini reciprocating engines" are part of each generator set. If you look at the plans you can see the 3 cylinders on the engines.

Exactly. Titanic's generators produced more power than most land based power stations of the day. The amount of electricity Titanic used was very extravagant for the day.

Back