Hypothermia

I was asked about hypothermia during an interview the other day. In addition, there has been some recent discussion about Baker Joughin's ability to survive the night in freezing water. So, I thought I'd add a thread about hypothermia.

Hypothermia is a condition that the body enters into when its core temperature drops to around 90 deg F/35 deg C. Body processes slow and begin to fail over time. Quite often, the victim dies from cardiac failure.

One of the things that I remember from my cold-water survival training in the Navy is that unless a safe haven is close by (half a mile or so or less), one should drown-proof, NOT attempt to swim. Swimming causes accelerated heat loss and fatigue, which lowers the body's resistance to hypothermia.

According to studies, a person can survive an hour or so (individual resilience varies) in 28 deg. water if they employ proper drown-proofing techniques. If, however, a person attempts to swim, the survival time can be cut in half.

Unfortunately, those who found themselves in the water after Titanic sank had no way of knowing this. A shocking amount of our knowledge about hypothermia comes from Nazi experiments on prisoners. But whether he deliberately planned it or not, Baker Joughin probably saved his own life by taking it easy during his time in the water. If alcohol saved his life, it think it had more to do with its calming effect (slowed down his metabolism, reducing his heat loss) than with any supposed "insulating" effects in his bloodstream.

Parks

Oddly enough Parks, I was only reading about those Nazi tests not a few days ago.
The worse tests I would say was when they took individuals up to high altitudes to observe what happened to the human anatomy.
I read the article on the grounding of the ship a few days ago. Excellent research. I had the occasion to read a short article from Hitchens the other day in which he mentions a heavy crash on the starboard side.
"There was a light grating on the port bow, than a heavy crash on the port bow, than a heavy crash on the starboard side."
He also mention before it was dark, there was a haze. [I would imagine looking in the direction of travel because he was on the bridge at the time]
Lady Duff-Gordon also made an interesting comment.
"The night was perfectly clear. We watched for some time the fields of ice. There was one just before I went below to retire. I noticed among the fields of ice a number or large bergs. There was one which one of the officers pointed out to me. He said it must have been 100 feet high………….. It was way off in the distance. I went to my bedroom and retired."
It could not have been far off if they could both see it.
I also found reference to a chap being lowered over the port side by rope with a lantern to inspect the hull for damage.
Its always interesting to read these little pieces of information.

Parks -

What specifically are the "proper drown proofing techniques"? What are you supposed to do?

I'd always got the impression that most of Titanics victims died in much less than an hour, or even half an hour. Does anyone know for sure?

Steve S.,

The most basic drown-proofing technique is to pull your legs up, wrap your arms around them and float. Concentrate on keeping your breathing regular and keep a lot of air in your lungs so that you do float. Stay calm and don't exert yourself. As part of my survival training, I had to stay afloat in this manner in full flight gear for 30 minutes, and could have gone on much longer when the whistle blew at the end of that time. If you have a lifebelt on, it's easier. If you don't have a lifebelt but are wearing trousers, take them off, tie the two legs together, put them behind your head, pull the trousers (open/waist end forward) over your head to trap air and use that as a flotation device. Always leave on shoes/boots, hat/helmet, and gloves on, because heat loss is the most critical concern and heat is easily lost through the extremities. That's what I remember.

I also remember having to grab onto a boat hook to keep from going down when I had to swim the mile course in my flight gear. I was doing a lot of swimming, but got tired and soon went from moving in the horizontal plane to desparately trying to keep from moving in the vertical. I had to sit out for a while and calm down a bit before I could re-try and beat the course. I liked the drown-proofing test better. :)

Steve H.,

Those are interesting comments. I wonder how they fit into the grand scheme of things.

Parks

Parks,

I'm going to remember what you said for next month. We're due to take a mini-cruise from Newcastle to Sweden and I've been having a few niggling doubts about the trip. Nothing I can put my finger on but these doubts keep recurring and I can't shake 'em. I'm not a nervous traveller in the slightest but I keep thinking of the Estonia, this journey will be across the North Sea in the middle of winter.

At least I know what to do if I do find myself in the water now!

Cheers,

Boz

Boz -

I live right on the coast at the mouth of the Tyne... wave as you sail past!

It's interesting actually: With all the lights etc they look stunning at night as they sail out - It often makes me think of Titanic and how much more impressive still she must have been.
There's a scene in Cameron's film after the berg has hit, where you see the ship as a tiny, brilliantly lit dot almost lost in the vastness of the ocean. It's exactly what the ferries look like as they sail away and that scene - and it's aftermath in real life - often comes to mind; especially during freezing, stormy weather such as we have currently. I must admit there are days I'm glad I'm not aboard...

I wouldn't worry though: The Newcastle ferries all have an EXCELLENT saftey record... and at least you don't get icebergs in the North Sea :)

Iain,

Well, if you're going to do that....

Take an inflatable life raft with you, complete with emergency supplies, strobe light and radio. A wet suit wouldn't hurt, either, and fits right into the luggage. :)

Seriously, though, it's a good habit to carry a small flashlight with you whenever you go aboard ship. You can buy a little Mag-Lite in a holster to clip to your belt. It has proved it's use for me in numerous ways.

Parks

I always carried a flashlight onboard ship, and if I ever go out on a cruise, I'll have at least a Mini Maglite handy just in case I need it. It came in handy more often then I care to count.

Nothing like a Mag-Lite. I had a big 3 D cell size Mag-Lite when I was on the police force, and also had a mini Maglite attached to my belt.

Both were quite useful in many ways.

Parks, thanks for the hypothermia info.

Useful as in "gentle persuasion" Tracy? Lord knows when the drunks got dragged in, that big stick had to be pretty useful.
wink.gif

For me, it was a question of power failures which on the Ranger at least were a lot more frequent then the engineers would have cared to deal with. Some of my shipmates would laugh at me for toting the beast around, but when the lights died, so did the laughter,

So much looking forward to this trip tomorrow after a hellish past couple of weeks. Well geared up for the journey now, all manner of booze, anticipate being very ill in the mornings. I can't wait!

Which side of the Tyne, Steve?

Cheers,

Boz

Back