I need to know who this is.

OK Im about to tell you something that actually happened to me. Im not making any of it up. Im 100% honest God as my witness.

I was at a yardsale in Lexington NC of all places, and I walked up the yard to a couple old pencil paintings. One painting Ill reveal later in the story. An older lady put her hands on the 1st painting and asked how much it cost, and the woman having the sale said $10, so she handed her $10. I immediately grabbed the 2nd painting, and asked the same question, and the lady said the same $10 so I grabbed it and of course bought it. Both of these paintings were on old paper. Pieces of the painting were falling off both, and both were what I call a pencil painting. Ill add pictures of mine. The paintings were very clearly the same age, same style, same paper, same pencil. The second painting was of a gentleman, whom Im trying to identify. (John M Hopkins?)
So I approached the lady who beat me to the 1st painting and offered her $20 for the 1st painting. She refused, so I offered her $50, and she refused and I said "Lady you just paid $10 for it. I'm offering you 5 times that much, and it has a huge hole in it!" I then offered her $100, and then later $200 which was all I had on me. She said in her Southern voice "No I want to keep it." I asked "Do you know what it is???" She replied "A ship". (I could strangle her!!! well not literally but you know what I mean) She had no idea. The 1st painting had a hole in the middle about the size of a baseball that you could literally stick your entire hand through. The frame was so warped that if you laid it flat one corner would have been up a good 2". Ok.. wait for it.. I had watched the Titanic movie literally the night before. I'm 100% sure, The 1st painting was a view from a lifeboat of the Titanic sinking!!!! You could see the railings on the lifeboat and the waves and the titanic about 300 feet away with one end raised up and the rest sinking. Literally it looked just like the scene in the movie. I imagined in my head that anyone who survived that would have that image, of the Titanic sinking, burnt in their brain. I'm sure in my mind that they probably went home and painted it.
I sent pics of my painting to the Titanic museum in Panama City Beach, and to 3 other museums. I'm thinking one of the museums was in the hometown of the Titanic, and you'll have to forgive my ignorance. I didn't go searching for this, it just happened. Im not even a Titanic enthusiasts. One of the museums sent back an email (on an account that I lost long ago) that said everything about my story lined up, and that the gentleman in the painting is positively in the same era as the Titanic. His clothing, hair style, etc. They said they were searching to see who he might be. I lost that email account and can't get back into it, so I have no idea if they ever figured it out. How these 2 paintings got to my horrible little town in NC is a huge mystery. No one important comes HERE! lol.
Please see the pictures and if you know who this man is PLEASE reply below.

Attachments

• 01t9.JPG
    01t9.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 220
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 221
When I first saw the pictures, especially No:35, I thought that it was Titanic victim Assistant Engineer Jonathan Shepherd because of the cut of the moustache. He was the one who suffered a fall in boiler room 5 and broke his leg; Barrett and Harvey helped him to a more secure position but had to leave him to his fate when the rathe of flooding overcame the men. The other two got out.

When I first saw the pictures, especially No:35, I thought that it was Titanic victim Assistant Engineer Jonathan Shepherd because of the cut of the moustache. He was the one who suffered a fall in boiler room 5 and broke his leg; Barrett and Harvey helped him to a more secure position but had to leave him to his fate when the rathe of flooding overcame the men. The other two got out.
Wasn't that a common style back in those days? Seen lots of pics of guys sporting those during those days. I had to go look at his picture. Shepherd's pic..my first impression was he looks a lot like the actor Christopher Lee.

OK Im about to tell you something that actually happened to me. Im not making any of it up. Im 100% honest God as my witness.

I was at a yardsale in Lexington NC of all places, and I walked up the yard to a couple old pencil paintings. One painting Ill reveal later in the story. An older lady put her hands on the 1st painting and asked how much it cost, and the woman having the sale said $10, so she handed her $10. I immediately grabbed the 2nd painting, and asked the same question, and the lady said the same $10 so I grabbed it and of course bought it. Both of these paintings were on old paper. Pieces of the painting were falling off both, and both were what I call a pencil painting. Ill add pictures of mine. The paintings were very clearly the same age, same style, same paper, same pencil. The second painting was of a gentleman, whom Im trying to identify. (John M Hopkins?)
So I approached the lady who beat me to the 1st painting and offered her $20 for the 1st painting. She refused, so I offered her $50, and she refused and I said "Lady you just paid $10 for it. I'm offering you 5 times that much, and it has a huge hole in it!" I then offered her $100, and then later $200 which was all I had on me. She said in her Southern voice "No I want to keep it." I asked "Do you know what it is???" She replied "A ship". (I could strangle her!!! well not literally but you know what I mean) She had no idea. The 1st painting had a hole in the middle about the size of a baseball that you could literally stick your entire hand through. The frame was so warped that if you laid it flat one corner would have been up a good 2". Ok.. wait for it.. I had watched the Titanic movie literally the night before. I'm 100% sure,
I sent pics of my painting to the Titanic museum in Panama City Beach, and to 3 other museums. I'm thinking one of the museums was in the hometown of the Titanic, and you'll have to forgive my ignorance. I didn't go searching for this, it just happened. Im not even a Titanic enthusiasts. One of the museums sent back an email (on an account that I lost long ago) that said everything about my story lined up, and that the gentleman in the painting is positively in the same era as the Titanic. His clothing, hair style, etc. They said they were searching to see who he might be. I lost that email account and can't get back into it, so I have no idea if they ever figured it out. How these 2 paintings got to my horrible little town in NC is a huge mystery. No one important comes HERE! lol.
Please see the pictures and if you know who this man is PLEASE reply below.
OK! I'll have a go.

Notes on the figure:
First of all the shirt collar is most unusual for the time. The position of the tie pin is OK!. I suggest the drawing is of a young person pre Edwardian. (the collar).
He has a distinctive right hand parting in his hair... most had a left hand "shed" or parting. However, if he was ever on Titanic, I'd guess it was long after that drawing was made.
On the frame:
The frame is not original with the drawing.. I have several family portraits of that time and fifty years earlier. I'd say the frame was c 1850 to 1900. Originally it would have had a thin-cut board covered by a sheet o black paper. The boards may also be replacement. The back board on my frames consist of one or two very thin planks of stained wood held in place by the pre cursors to the modern staple...they were hammered in place. I suspect the frame itself is of single, plain carved concave oak?
The film you watched:
" The 1st painting was a view from a lifeboat of the Titanic sinking!!!! You could see the railings on the lifeboat and the waves and the titanic about 300 feet away with one end raised up and the rest sinking. Literally it looked just like the scene in the movie. I imagined in my head that anyone who survived that would have that image, of the Titanic sinking, burnt in their brain. I'm sure in my mind that they probably went home and painted it."
I admire your vivid imagination. However:
Lifeboats do not have rails.
There were no waves - it was flat calm.
To be able to get the entire ship into a painting, the artist would need to have been at least 1000 feet away from Titanic as she was sinking.
At such a distance, there would have been insufficient light to include any detail except for pinpoints of ship's lighting within a vague, shadowy ship-shape against the backdrop of the star-studded sky.

Just some friendly observation.

Back