Identifying Titanic stewardesses

Hello everybody,

I am not sure if the ET community knew a second Plymouth photo of Stewardesses existed, so here it is.

1_15497578.jpg

I have four things to add regarding identifying these stewardesses:

-No other Stewardesses have been proven to resemble Violet Jessop nor Mary Sloan (therefore, "probably" can now be erased).

-An episode of Antiques Road show Chenies Manor had this photo of Elizabeth Leather. Therefore, the lady believed to be her in the group photo may be Mabel Bennett (who owned a coat similar to what was worn in the photo). Elizabeth Leather looks more like the stewardess to the far right.

-Although the restaurant cashiers may have been in the group photo, it would have been highly unlikely as it seems that only White Star Line crew members were in the photo.

- Sara Stap, Annie Caton, Mabel Bennett, Katherine Smith, and Elizabeth Lavington don't have any photos out in the open web. Thus, they are also possibilities for the two unidentified Stewardesses on the far left next to Jessop.

These are just observations. If anyone has photos of Stap, Caton, Bennett, Smith, or Lavington (even at an older or younger age), please don't hesitate to post because it might help us identify the rest of the people in this photo.

Attachments

• 20190121_122529.png
    20190121_122529.png
    336.3 KB · Views: 674
Yes it is the 2nd photograph taken of them where the faces are mainly visible. Here is the more common one with some names added from me.

Attachments

• Stewardesses Neu2.jpg
    Stewardesses Neu2.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 626
Hello, I have things to clarify,

If anyone got confused by my post above, I posted the family photo of Elizabeth Leather above.

Mabel Bennett has to be the one behind Violet Jessop and Maude Slocombe because she is the only one wearing fur coat like the one auctioned other than Hypatia McLaren.

As for the second to left stewardess who is beside Jessop, I change my mind and would go ahead and write her down as a "probably" instead of possibly until another photo arises that confirms her identity.

Sorry about that,
Charles

Yes it is the 2nd photograph taken of them where the faces are mainly visible. Here is the more common one with some names added from me.

Hey Ioannis,

They just updated what they believe some of the identities of the Stewardesses were:

-Annie Martin's identity was apparently confirmed (probably through a photo of her resting on a deck chair)

-Mabel Bennett was actually Hypatia McLaren (a new photo got posted of her on her profile).

- Mary Roberts has now been listed as "probably Emma Bliss" (through new photos posted of her)

-Jane Kate Gold has now been listed as "probably Mary Gregson"

-Hypatia McLaren's old believed identity is now listed as "unknown"

Here is the link to the updated stewardess page:
https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/identifying-titanic-stewardesses.html

Emma Bliss:
https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-survivor/emma-bliss.html
-The photo received of her was taken by the Toronto Daily Star in 1939

Hypatia McLaren:https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-survivor/mclaren.html
-The caption claims that McLaren was the one to serve Lucile Duff Gordon, so I am not sure if Sara Stap really was on A-Deck now.

Another update-

I found a photo of Mary Roberts around the time she survived the Rohilla Sinking in 1914 at this link: Centenary: The Loss of HMHS Rohilla

-We could add her and Elizabeth Leather as possibilities for the stewardess to the far right next to Prichard

Still trying to match a name to the two unidentified Stewardesses on the left, but for now here is what the identities look like:

Left to Right: unknown, unknown, Violet Jessop, Mabel Bennett (?), Maude Slocombe, Hypatia McLaren, Mary Sloan, Annie Robinson, Emma Bliss, unknown (Gregson or Gold), Annie Martin, Alice Prichard, unknown (Roberts or Leather)

I had never seen the second Plymouth photograph, thank you so much for sharing!
This may be an obvious question and I may have missed the answer in another forum, but is there any possibility that either of the two unidentified women on the left are Evelyn Marsden? Or has she been completely ruled out? Thanks!

Thanks to Jaydon Edwards for the following suggested identifications:

titanic-stewardesses.jpg

1. Annie Caton
2. Kate Gold
3. Violet Jessop
4. Mabel Bennett
5. Maud Slocombe
6. Hypatia McLaren
7. Mary Sloan
8. Annie Robinson
9. Emma Bliss
10. Mary Gregson
11. Annie Martin
12. Alice Prichard
13. Elizabeth Leather

His evidence, or at least reasoning, is as follows:

1. Annie Caton
Annie Caton 1.jpgAnnie Caton Evidence 2.jpgAnnie Caton evidence 3.jpgJessop, Gold, and Caton Evidence.jpg

"So for Annie I saw that fellow Turkish baths stewardess Maud Slocombe was in the picture so I compared photos of her face on google to the one in the photograph and they match up perfectly. It would also make sense to have her with them since she was a white star line employee."

2. Kate Gold

Jessop, Gold, and Caton Evidence.jpgKate Gold 1.jpgKate Gold Evidence.jpg

"So for Kate I was only able to find one photo of her, with facial comparison between the photos it was easy to identify her. If anything I mainly use their nose and facial shapes to match them."

3. Violet Jessop

Jessop, Gold, and Caton Evidence.jpgViolet Jessop 1.jpgViolet Jessop evidence 2.jpgViolet Jessop evidence 3.jpg

"Violet is one of the few easily obvious ones, here's what I have found for her."

4. Mabel Bennett
6. Hypatia Mclaren

Hypatia McLaren 1.jpgHypatia McLaren Evidence.jpg

"I felt bad for both of them, because they both are wearing fur coats. The internet was quick to label Hypatia as Mabel when it was supposed to be the other way around. There's a newspaper clipping identifying Hypatia, since they are the only two to be wearing a fur overcoat in the picture it was easy to pinpoint #4 as mabel. "

Mabel Bennett 1.jpgMabel Bennett Evidence 2.jpgMabel Bennett Evidence 3.jpg

5.Maud Slocombe

Bennett, McLaren, Slocombe, Sloan, and Robinson evidence.jpgMaud Slocombe 1.jpgMaud Slocombe evidence 2.jpgSloan and Slocombe evidence.jpg

"For Maud like Jessop it was easy to identify her, here's what i found on her."

More to come...

7. Mary Sloan

Bennett, McLaren, Slocombe, Sloan, and Robinson evidence.jpgMary Sloan 1.jpgMary Sloan evidence 2.jpgSloan and Slocombe evidence.jpg

"Mary Sloan was also easy to identify as well here's what i found."

8. Annie Robinson

Annie Robinson 1.jpgBennett, McLaren, Slocombe, Sloan, and Robinson evidence.jpgAnnie Robinson evidence 2.jpg

"Annie was also easy to identify"

9. Emma Bliss

Emma Bliss 1.jpgEmma Bliss evidence 2.jpgemma bliss evidence 3.jpg

"Like the first two I used facial recognition to identify her."

10. Mary Gregson

Mary Gregson 1.jpgmary-gregson evidence.jpg

"I used facial recognition with her, she's the only one with a long face."

More to come...

11. Annie Martin

Annie Martin 1.jpgAnnie Martin evidence 2.jpg

"At first the photo kind of threw me off because she's squinting through the sunlight... but after comparing face shapes I was able to identify her."

12. Alice Prichard

Alice Prichard 1.jpgAlice Prichard evidence 2.jpg

"She was also easy to identify."

13. Elizabeth Leather

Elizabeth Leather 1.jpgelizabeth leather evidence 2.jpg

"and lastly for Mrs. Leather I was able to use facial comparison for her"

What do you think?

Back