Info on C Deck

Hi everyone!

My name is Carla Trueheart and I'm a published author and English professor. My latest manuscript revolves around Titanic, and while it's not historical fiction, I'm hoping to replicate the ship as best I can in the book. I'm a lifelong fan of Titanic and have many print books for research, and I also have access to my university's library for further research. However, I'm a bit lost on a few inner workings of the ship, and even with a blueprint of the ship in front of me, I'm confused.

My protagonist begins her journey on the ship's bow, where she is told to move at once because she is not allowed to be in that location. From there, I need her to get to C Deck, in particular, Cabin C-52. My problem is navigating her from the ship's bow to C Deck. Are there stairs from the bow to C Deck? Would she have to use the Grand Staircase? Where were the cabins located on C Deck and what would they look like? The pictures I have of first-class staterooms don't seem to show any from C Deck.

Also, if anyone knows where stateroom numbers would have been located, I'd love that information as well. In the movie Titanic, they seem to be located on the top of stateroom doors in third class, but in the middle of the doors in first class. Further, I've read one account of "plaques" above doors stating room numbers, but in photographs of first-class staterooms, I can't find any numbers at all.

Any information on navigating from bow to C Deck would be welcomed. I truly appreciate the help, as I've been at this for weeks.

Thanks!

Hello, Titanic Honor and Glory have a demo for their upcoming game that lets you explore Titanic's interiors DEMO — Titanic: Honor and Glory There is the link, once you install it go to 'Skip to Ship' to explore the modeled areas. That is to answer the question about the plaques in first class. If your protagonist is on the bow itself (with all the machinery) she'd have to go aft down the stairs onto the well deck and onto the first class access stairs onto B-Deck farther aft, from there (since she is already breaking the rules) she would have to go up the crew stairs from B-deck to A-deck where she could find her way along the promenade to the first class entrance to the Grand Staircase which could take her down to C-Deck. As a First class passenger she would not have been allowed onto the Forecastle (bow) or the well-deck or the crew stairs.

Good day to you Mrs./miss Trueheart,
Are there stairs from the bow to C Deck?
1614332083070.png

A render of the forward well deck by the talented Vasilije Ristovic

There is a single stairwell on the forward well deck which leads to B-deck. On the Titanic this was the only remaining part of the B-deck first class promenade. You can see the stairwell on the render near the port side 2 1/2 ton cargo crane. There is a gate on top that stairwell that had a board on the right when you would climb up the stairwell, the board said:
"Notice
3rd CLASS PASSENGERS
ARE NOT ALLOWED
ON THIS DECK"
Would she have to use the Grand Staircase?
1614332924929.png

B-21 on the Olympic with mahogany beds and furniture, comparable to B-21 on the Titanic although there are a few differences which you cannot notice on the picture, such as the changed position. This design on-board the Olympic class liners were called "Bibby staterooms."

After having reached the first class B-deck promenade forward, which was larger on the Olympic but is nearly entirely removed on the Titanic on request of Mr. Ismay during the maiden voyage of the Olympic in June 1911, you would have two doors, one on the starboard side and one of the port side. These doors lead to the corridor of the forward B-deck staterooms (B-1 to B-50, with no B-13 to be found). These staterooms didn't have a period styles as the one amidships (for a detailed overview of the period styles I would recommend to look at my post in Your favorite stateroom style on Titanic/Olympic. Keep in mind that these corridors weren't the same as in the 1997 movie, with hand rails and a runner in the middle, this is inaccurate. You would need to walk forward to reach the Louis XIV staircase/first class enterance (the offical name given to the "Grand staircase") and need to take the landing down to C-deck.
1614333273052.png

B-deck forward on the Bruce Beveridge plans.

The pictures I have of first-class staterooms don't seem to show any from C Deck.
1614333414978.png

C-1 to C-60 (C-55, C-57 and C-59 were styled period styles located amidships) on the Bruce Beveridge plans.
1614333535193.png

C-9 on the Olympic, comparable C-10, C-17, C-16, C-23, C-22, C-28, C-29, C-34 C-35 (Keep in mind C-33 is accidentally spelled as C-35 on the Bruce Beveridge deck plans). It has mahogany furniture and mahogany Cot beds with a red carpet with green and yellow flowers on it, which is the same pattern as B-21.
1614333555310.png

C-15 on the Olympic, identical to C-14, C-20, C-21, C-26, C-27, C-32, C-33 (indicated as C-35 on the Bruce Beveridge plan),C-38 C-39, C-42 and C-46 in terms of furniture. It has brass beds, mahogany furniture and a dark green carpet.
1614334015505.png

C-52 had oak Cot beds (the same design as in B-21 on the Olympic and C-9 on the Olympic) with an oak dressing table (same in design as seen in B-21 and C-15, but made out of oak), with a sofa couch, washing cabinet, an electric heater and a fan on the roof. C-52 also had a bright blue carpet.
1614333917068.png

The sofa couch in A-21 on the Olympic, identical to the sofa couch which you could find in C-52.
1614334153925.png

The washing cabinet which could be found in C-52, although it was made out of oak instead of mahogany as in the photograph
Also, if anyone knows where stateroom numbers would have been located, I'd love that information as well. In the movie Titanic, they seem to be located on the top of stateroom doors in third class, but in the middle of the doors in first class. Further, I've read one account of "plaques" above doors stating room numbers, but in photographs of first-class staterooms, I can't find any numbers at all.
It is true that there were plaques above the door that indicated the number. Although I highly recommend not to use the 1997 movie set as a source. It is filled with set mistakes which are acknowledged by he historians that assisted James Cameron.

I hope this helps. If you need any help you are allowed to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Krom

Hello, Titanic Honor and Glory have a demo for their upcoming game that lets you explore Titanic's interiors DEMO — Titanic: Honor and Glory There is the link, once you install it go to 'Skip to Ship' to explore the modeled areas. That is to answer the question about the plaques in first class. If your protagonist is on the bow itself (with all the machinery) she'd have to go aft down the stairs onto the well deck and onto the first class access stairs onto B-Deck farther aft, from there (since she is already breaking the rules) she would have to go up the crew stairs from B-deck to A-deck where she could find her way along the promenade to the first class entrance to the Grand Staircase which could take her down to C-Deck. As a First class passenger she would not have been allowed onto the Forecastle (bow) or the well-deck or the crew stairs.
Thank you so, so much. This is incredibly helpful! I appreciate the time you took to help me with my manuscript. Have a wonderful day!

Good day to you Mrs./miss Trueheart,

View attachment 75791
A render of the forward well deck by the talented Vasilije Ristovic

There is a single stairwell on the forward well deck which leads to B-deck. On the Titanic this was the only remaining part of the B-deck first class promenade. You can see the stairwell on the render near the port side 2 1/2 ton cargo crane. There is a gate on top that stairwell that had a board on the right when you would climb up the stairwell, the board said:
"Notice
3rd CLASS PASSENGERS
ARE NOT ALLOWED
ON THIS DECK"

View attachment 75792
B-21 on the Olympic with mahogany beds and furniture, comparable to B-21 on the Titanic although there are a few differences which you cannot notice on the picture, such as the changed position. This design on-board the Olympic class liners were called "Bibby staterooms."

After having reached the first class B-deck promenade forward, which was larger on the Olympic but is nearly entirely removed on the Titanic on request of Mr. Ismay during the maiden voyage of the Olympic in June 1911, you would have two doors, one on the starboard side and one of the port side. These doors lead to the corridor of the forward B-deck staterooms (B-1 to B-50, with no B-13 to be found). These staterooms didn't have a period styles as the one amidships (for a detailed overview of the period styles I would recommend to look at my post in Your favorite stateroom style on Titanic/Olympic. Keep in mind that these corridors weren't the same as in the 1997 movie, with hand rails and a runner in the middle, this is inaccurate. You would need to walk forward to reach the Louis XIV staircase/first class enterance (the offical name given to the "Grand staircase") and need to take the landing down to C-deck.
View attachment 75793
B-deck forward on the Bruce Beveridge plans.

View attachment 75794
C-1 to C-60 (C-55, C-57 and C-59 were styled period styles located amidships) on the Bruce Beveridge plans.
View attachment 75795
C-9 on the Olympic, comparable C-10, C-17, C-16, C-23, C-22, C-28, C-29, C-34 C-35 (Keep in mind C-33 is accidentally spelled as C-35 on the Bruce Beveridge deck plans). It has mahogany furniture and mahogany Cot beds with a red carpet with green and yellow flowers on it, which is the same pattern as B-21.
View attachment 75796
C-15 on the Olympic, identical to C-14, C-20, C-21, C-26, C-27, C-32, C-33 (indicated as C-35 on the Bruce Beveridge plan),C-38 C-39, C-42 and C-46 in terms of furniture. It has brass beds, mahogany furniture and a dark green carpet.
View attachment 75798
C-52 had oak Cot beds (the same design as in B-21 on the Olympic and C-9 on the Olympic) with an oak dressing table (same in design as seen in B-21 and C-15, but made out of oak), with a sofa couch, washing cabinet, an electric heater and a fan on the roof. C-52 also had a bright blue carpet.
View attachment 75797
The sofa couch in A-21 on the Olympic, identical to the sofa couch which you could find in C-52.
View attachment 75799
The washing cabinet which could be found in C-52, although it was made out of oak instead of mahogany as in the photograph

It is true that there were plaques above the door that indicated the number. Although I highly recommend not to use the 1997 movie set as a source. It is filled with set mistakes which are acknowledged by he historians that assisted James Cameron.

I hope this helps. If you need any help you are allowed to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Krom
Oh my goodness! Thank you so much. This information will allow me to go further than I'd even hoped in regard to the inside of the ship. The pictures are very helpful. Thanks!

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much. This information will allow me to go further than I'd even hoped in regard to the inside of the ship. The pictures are very helpful. Thanks!

I would so much the ship could not sink. The movie gives me so powerful emotions. The descriptive sequence of Rose is so romantic that I have decided to write a lyrical essay. I posted it on ᐅ How to write a Descriptive essay - introduction and conclusion samples, outline and structure ideas on PHDessay.com and I received a lot of reviews. I am thankful that my work is appreciated. I am sure that your creation will also succeed.

This is the most romantic movie ever.

May I tell your continuation of the story to my pupils? I am a teacher and I was amazed by this text.

Back